Dragon Run 2012

More
11 years 6 months ago #14184 by saikungski
Dragon Run 2012 was created by saikungski
Anybody doing the Dragon Run next month? I went out last Saturday and it was a bit daunting for me .The strong monsoon warning was out but decided to go out in the channel west of Clearwaterbay. The swells looked quite large from my point of view (V10 Sport ) going up wind..
If the sea conditions are the same on the 10th the 65 minute cut to the 9 PINS could be a toughie..
Only been doing this for 6 months..Any tips from the seasoned, been there done that chaps would be much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• xen
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #14190 by xen
Replied by xen on topic Re: Dragon Run 2012
am doing it. [caveat: am not seasoned - finished it twice. fished out once. learnt alot every time i have paddled the course though and almost always loved doing it.]

the conditions can vary a lot - I heard from some of the guys who were out there that Sunday was pretty big (OC6s sinking during the Po Toi race etc.)- you shd take a view on the day/evening before at the registration. no shame in the chicken run if it looks like DR it will be nasty on the day. i was a dnf (with similar amount of prior paddling experience to yours) first time i tried it in ugly conditions for a beginner when frankly i shd have been less foolhardy and done the chicken run. that said if it looks like it will be moderate/smaller than sunday - maybe you shd give it a go?

advice #1 wd be sure to be doing it in as stable boat a boat as you can get your hands on... EZE, V8, (your sport is OK but if you cd get your hands on a V8 you shd do it in that - you'll likely be much faster than you will be in your Sport) for your first effort. #2 make sure you can get back in your boat easily in a bit of swell & wind (watch Oscar's Utube video). #3 make sure you are doing some interval training as well as long paddles. but #1 & #2 the most important. see you a week on Friday @ the SeaSchool registration!

More
11 years 6 months ago #14192 by [email protected]
I did it last year, going back to do it again, leaving on monday evening, yippee!

The course is technically challenging - as you say, you've got a tricky quarter side-on sea out to the Nine Pins, a nice downwind to the Kissing Whales aka Cape D'Aguilar, then a side chop/headwind back to the finish at Stanley. (Usually!)

Last year, I'm told, was a particularly mild year. I still found the section out to Nine Pins challenging - I was on a V10 Ultra, which I'm not used to and which I found a little too lively for me. I battled to catch the diagonal runs. On the long leg down to the Kissing Whales I had a ball and caught a bunch of guys and then ground away back to the finish, being overtaken by a V12... I wasn't as fit as I should have been but I wasn't happy with my performance!

The water around the Kissing Whales is a maelstrom of reflected waves forming klapotis with the oncoming chop, so you probably want to go out there a couple of times from Stanley during the week before the race if you can. I'll be doing it Wed, Thu, Fri probably in the mornings.

That's the worst of it I think. If you can survive that, Nine Pins is not as hectic.

But for your first one - if you can get an Eze or V8, you'd probably feel happier! I'm doing it this year on a Think Evo II, a nice stable intermediate boat that I've been paddling this week for the first time!

It's not an easy paddle - it's challenging - just as a World Cup race should be.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 6 months ago #14208 by saikungski
Replied by saikungski on topic Re: Dragon Run 2012
Wow! Thanks for the good info .. I wonder if the Chicken run is my destiny?.Going back out there tomorrow for some more exposure . BTW I meant
east of CWB. Will re-assess the day before. Thanks guys

Latest Forum Topics