Got a Nelo L for flat racing, need a stable ski?

• gnome
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14357 by gnome
Hi all.
The Nelo is fast on the flat but no way can I paddle it in the chop. Had a G7 that was too tippy out at sea too. So that gives an indication of my poor ocean ability.
Have a Gibbons Spec Ski (Nathan Baggaley) but that isnt real stable either. Have heard it is quite a tippy ski.
So any ideas for my 80/85kg, 5`11` tall 31inch inseam body.
For use in the ocean in all conditions. So it needs to down-wind, Up-wind, side chop etc. I rarely get just downwind. Usually strong side chop and shitty wind. Clean swell days are rare. Can't afford new so will look for older ski's like
Synergy
Horizon
Stellar SR
Stealth Strika
XT

Gnome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14358 by boss
I just saw the fenn spec ski at the rescue2012 worlds in Adelaide.they look very nice for a spec ski. Hope to get a paddle in the next couple of days

More
11 years 5 months ago #14363 by red_pepper
Of the skis you listed, I can comment on the Stellar SR. My wife bought one in 2011, and we've found it to be an excellent mix of solid stability and decent speed. Living in a flat-water area, I don't get out on the bigger waves too often, but when I do I find I'm completely comfortable in the SR, no matter which way the waves are going in relation to me. I'm 193 lbs (about 88 kg), 6'1", with 31" inseam, so pretty close to your dimensions. I would highly recomment giving one a test paddle. Several local people have purchased them as their "big water" or "cold weather" boats when they aren't comfortable in their tippier boats, and they all really like the SR.

Other good possibilities would be the Stellar SEL (surprisingly stable for a 17" ski - I was amazed at how comfortable I felt in the waves of Lake Michigan in one), the Think Evo (I had one a few years ago and really loved the hull - the seat just didn't fit me well, but others love the seat), and the Epic V10 Sport (paddled a rental V10S a few years ago - nice boat with a little less stability than the Evo or SR, but a touch more speed and a comfortable bucket - not much foot room for me, though).

If at all possible, try to paddle your boats of interest for an hour or more to know how they fit and how comfortable you are with the stabilty.

Latest Forum Topics