Stellar SR CK Horizon 80kg paddler any good.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14450 by rudie
Anyone with experience with these boats.
I paddle fast tippy boats on the flat but no way can i paddle them out at sea. Downwind if it stays that way just and there bl---y amazing, but when the sea changes either side chop its horrid.
Anyway like info on the above boats for speed and speed to stay on runners and their ability to handle all sorts of sea conditions.
Im 5foot 11inches tall 31 inch inseam 185lbs. Am I too light?
I dont think the step down from my Uno Nelo to boats like the SEL would give enough stability in the rough. Though I will try them. but the SR and Horizon I cant try and can be bought for much less second hand. Only get to the sea a dozen times a year. Have a tippy spec ski which is more stable than my Uno or Nelo and thats a bit too tippy to in the rough.
Rudie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brad
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14451 by Brad
Your paddling situations sound similar to mine - I paddle an SES several times per week on local river and lakes where I am perfectly happy but find it too much to handle offshore when I only get to do it once in a while. I have an SR now as well and don't expect to fall out of it, but EVEN THEN the sea can be a bit daunting especially if not paddling with others. SR still fast enough in the ocean to get my thrills except when it is flat, but then I can still paddle my SES. Can't comment on the Horizon sorry.

• Brad
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14452 by Brad
PS
I am 85kg. SR feels not too big or small (but neither does the SES for that matter).
On my flat water courses the SR is a good 5%-10% slower and I don't enjoy the experience of paddling it - difference in speed is noticeable and it's just too wide. In the sea I love it - I can enjoy myself rather than experiencing high anxiety! Haven't done any races in the sea lately but even with support I suspect I would choose the SR unless it was really calm. Paddling by myself, SR is my usual choice.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14454 by Dicko
Both good boats. The Horizon has a much narrower catch than the SR and is about $1000 cheaper. The Horizon is easier to remount and has the best foot plate adjustment. my 8 yo can paddle it and I can paddle it...just. It also goes pretty well on waves, but needs a surf based rudder if you want to really get the best out of it. It is also a lot more stable thean the SR. They weigh 18.5kg. You can't break them.
The SR is lighter and faster, but has the widest catch of any boat ever built in the history of the world ever. If you get the drift.
Either one would be fun in the surf.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14459 by rudie
So Dicko
What size person are you?
So how slow are they on the flat, compared to Elite's G7 etc?
Do they catch runner well or are they a real struggle to get on the runners?
Any other good cheap ski's to look out for? Did sort of think about a Synergy, though some say they aren't that stable for a 80/85kg person and are really hard to remount in the chop.
I wish I could try some but there are hardly any around my area. Just those rediculously expensive Epic's and Fenn's.
Rudie

More
11 years 5 months ago #14461 by Dicko
Just wrote a beautiful reply. Funny, clever etc and then my 3 yo sat on the keyboard and lost the lot.
I'm 96 kg and the wife a lot,lot less. Downwind the Horizon is fun and so is the SR.
I like the Horizon cos it feels more ski like to me.
If I was paddling on flat water I would stick with the group at 10.5 kph and as the pace increased would drop off.
The SR is faster and lighter. The Horizon is more stable and easier to remount. The fenn xt is a great stable ski that you can get secondhand.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14462 by rudie
Thanks Dicko
Any experience with the Synergy. Good bad at 80/85kg
Rudie

More
11 years 5 months ago #14464 by Dicko
Not as stable as you require and relatively difficult to remount. Unimpressive on the flat but real good downwind.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14465 by rudie
Cheers
I will try the Horizon and SR

More
11 years 5 months ago #14472 by red_pepper
I haven't tried the Horizon, but my wife owns an SR and we really love it. Quite stable and confidence building, but still fairly fast, it's a blast when the waves kick up. The foot plate is superb and the boat seems to be well made. If you're used to a narrower ski, the catch will seem wide, but I don't find it problematic. A couple of friends, one of whom paddles an SES and the other a Mohican, bought SR's recently (actually, I think one ultimately opted for an S18S but was wavering) to use in the rough after trying our SR. It would definitely be a boat worth trying out.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14473 by rudie
One more question Dicko, Brad and Red Pepper.
So how deep are the seats in the SR and Horizon. I have a spec ski and that's got low sides and is very wet. Which makes thing down there, rather cold. If you get my drift. :-(
Cheers
Rudie.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14475 by red_pepper
I just measured the SR: the bottom of the seat is 7.25" below the top of the sides (or about 18.5 cm, if you prefer).

More
11 years 5 months ago #14476 by Dicko
The Horizon has a proper bucket. It isn't as high as the SR but is higher than a spec ski. The ski is relatively dry. This is why it is easy to remount.

• Brad
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14477 by Brad
The SR seems to me about as dry (ie as wet) as other LD skis I have paddled ie dry other than paddle splash in say 0.5m chop but any bigger and you can't rule out getting the occasional big dump into the cockpit. Drainage is good so it's not a problem but if you paddle in cold water ...

More
11 years 5 months ago #14478 by rudie
Thanks Brad and Dicko
It sound like I better give them a try.
Cheers
Rudie.

Latest Forum Topics