Next ski after a Swordfish

More
11 years 5 months ago #14496 by MaxB
Hey all,

Currently paddling a Fenn Swordfish. Get out usually 1-2 times per week, and am generally happy with the ski in terms of stability & speed, considering my current ability. The only thing that's prompting me to think about an upgrade at this stage is the fact that the seat doesn't appear to agree with my butt. Padding for much over an hour becomes uncomfortable, and 2hrs us downright painful - and requires several days off the water before I can get back in the boat. Like everyone, I aspire to a more challenging ski at some point soon anyway, so I'm thinking the seat issue is just a reason to do it 6mths or so earlier than I might otherwise.

Can anyone recommend a suitable next boat? Ideally it will be faster, but given that I haven't yet completely 'outgrown' the Swordfish stability-wise, I also want something that's not too big a stretch in that regard.

Thanks for any input...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14497 by tony h
consider carbonology flash - faster & less stable than sword, but more stable than elite skis! i sold my sword d/t seat comfort issues (despite trying countless modifications) & can honestly say the flash seat is extremely comfortable.....see this excellent review:
www.surfski.info/reviews/item/1433-surfs...ogy-sport-flash.html

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
11 years 5 months ago #14498 by tony h
look forward to seeing new epic v10 pro coming out in march 2013 as well??

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
11 years 5 months ago #14500 by sAsLEX

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #14506 by superted

MaxB wrote: Hey all,

Get out usually 1-2 times per week, and am generally happy with the ski in terms of stability & speed, considering my current ability. The only thing that's prompting me to think about an upgrade at this stage is the fact that the seat doesn't appear to agree with my butt. Like everyone, I aspire to a more challenging ski at some point soon anyway.
Can anyone recommend a suitable next boat? Ideally it will be faster, ........I also want something that's not too big a stretch in that regard.

Thanks for any input...

Stellar SES in same layup as yr swordfish

Or take the bigger step balance wise (not speed) and get maybe a glass elite level ski. Epic V10, Fenn Elite etc
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by superted.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14508 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Next ski after a Swordfish
I THINK there may be another option in this segment in the very near future. Watch this space ;)

More
11 years 5 months ago #14510 by Midlifecrisis
If you are just getting a sore butt ( not sore legs etc) I would try some seat padding or padded pants first. When I started out in my epic I had to pad the seat once I started paddling more than a couple of days a week.

I'm not discouraging an upgrade, butt that may not be what you are after. If you do decide to upgrade, test as many skis as you can and in the conditions you normally paddle. You should also make sure you go for a longer paddle as some skis are comfy for a short paddle, but downright painful after an hour or so.

FYI
I did upgrade from an epic v10s to an SES after 7 months of paddling due to the epic being a poor fit for my smaller size. I paddle 4 or 5 times a week and it has still taken a couple of months to adjust to the SES in ocean paddling.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14514 by owenfromwales
Spit it out Stewy! Are we talking Thinks rival to the Swordy/Focus, something mid-way between the Evo II and the Uno? Where can we get the specs :cheer: ?

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
11 years 5 months ago #14516 by fredrik
Yeah, looking forward to a replacement for the ol´strange Legend

More
11 years 5 months ago #14520 by owenfromwales
I smell a ski naming contest coming on ;) I`ll stick my head on the block and go with the `Think Axe`!

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
11 years 5 months ago #14539 by Stew

owenfromwales wrote: Spit it out Stewy! Are we talking Thinks rival to the Swordy/Focus, something mid-way between the Evo II and the Uno? Where can we get the specs :cheer: ?

The Evo II and Swordfish are in the same category.

You could be on the right track with your guess..... we will keep you posted! Get excited. B)

More
11 years 5 months ago #14549 by mckengmsurfski
You may want to check out the new Vajda Hawx. It is a bit less stable than the Swordfish, but it seems to have better stability than many of the top end skis, and the people who've paddled it are finding that it has great hull speed. I am a big fan of the bucket but those things are obviously varied from person to person.
Where are you located and maybe I can point you towards one?
Mark M
www.eliteoceansports.com

More
11 years 5 months ago #14562 by MaxB
Replied by MaxB on topic Re: Next ski after a Swordfish
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Stellar range I am familiar with, but several others mentioned that I don't know look very interesting.

Vadja Hawx - Mark, I am in Sydney. Have heard a bit about this boat over the last year or so, but have never seen one. Was beginning to think it might have been a myth! Are these in production/distribution now?

New Think model - Stew, can you give any more detail? An approx availability date would be useful at least.

Epic V10 Pro - similarly, anyone got any spec and availability info on this one?

Thanks again, Max.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14563 by mckengmsurfski
Max,
The Vajda Hawx is in production and distribution. We have them in stock here in the USA now. Should have them in Australia within the next few weeks from what I understand.
You can see photos and some more info on our website and our Facebook page.

Mark M
www.eliteoceansports.com

More
11 years 4 months ago #14596 by Stew

MaxB wrote:
New Think model - Stew, can you give any more detail? An approx availability date would be useful at least.

Details will be out very soon. The Think Kayak facebook page is a good place to keep up to date with what we're at, and of course we'll pass plenty of info to the guys here at Surfski.info.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14601 by barrypaddle1

fredrik wrote: Yeah, looking forward to a replacement for the ol´strange Legend

Need some bigrrse chines on the new ski. new name THINK - JLO
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by barrypaddle1.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14603 by SimonF

barrypaddle1 wrote:

fredrik wrote: Yeah, looking forward to a replacement for the ol´strange Legend

Need some bigrrse chines on the new ski. new name THINK - JLO

w

Please let there be no chines, not even subtle ones as they make the ski more reactive to confused chop.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14606 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Re: Next ski after a Swordfish

owenfromwales wrote: I smell a ski naming contest coming on ;) I`ll stick my head on the block and go with the `Think Axe`!

How about the Think King? Though if you say it with a strong German accent, it's definitely not a good name for a boat. Only joking.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14611 by Stew

SimonF wrote: Please let there be no chines, not even subtle ones as they make the ski more reactive to confused chop.

I certainly don't find that to happen on either the Uno or Uno Max, which run very soft ones.

The new design won't feature chines however.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14615 by SimonF

Stew wrote:

SimonF wrote: Please let there be no chines, not even subtle ones as they make the ski more reactive to confused chop.

I certainly don't find that to happen on either the Uno or Uno Max, which run very soft ones.

The new design won't feature chines however.

Sorry Stew, I was probably being a bit harsh in regard to the Uno and Uno Max. My current skills aren't up to the Uno as I find it a challenge once I fatigue though when it is choppy I find it relatively easier to manage than the legend, but in the flat the legends secondary stability makes me feels more secure than I do in an Uno, once I get tired. I just find the roundish bottom boats easier in chop at my skill level, weight etc.
Can't wait to see the new boat.

Latest Forum Topics