Gordon Rowe

More
11 years 5 months ago #14648 by Kayaker Greg
Gordon Rowe was created by Kayaker Greg
Some of you knew Gordon Rowe?

I just had news circulated by a fellow club member to say that Gordon Rowe, the legendary South African paddler living on the North Shore of Auckland New Zealand, passed away last night at the North Shore Hospital.

Had the pleasure of meeting him about 18 months ago regarding a boat repair, nice man but clearly in his latter days when I met him.

RIP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14649 by Puffdog
Replied by Puffdog on topic Re: Gordon Rowe
Sad to hear that Gordy has passed away. He was a lovely guy for whom nothing was ever a problem.
I got to meet him about 3 years ago when my ski was about 1 inch away from being in 2 pieces. I got it to him and he said it was no worries to fix "if its made of fibreglass you can fix it". Anyway he only wanted to charge me $150 (I made him accept $200) for a repair job you have to look closely to see and I'm still padding the ski now.
I only found out later that he had only recently left hospital from having a heart attack. While he didn't seem well he had no hestitation in taking on the job and he had about 7 or 8 other skis being repaired at the same time.
You always had to allow a lot of time when you went to visit as he just loved to talk. He was such an interesting guy.
He will be sorely missed.

RIP Gordy

More
11 years 5 months ago #14650 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Re: Gordon Rowe
Very sad news indeed, I grew up with Gordy, worked at his boat factory in my school holidays for many years. He was my main inspiration to working in the composite industry. He will be sorely missed by all those who benefited buy his generosity, he never did charge enough according to me but then again he did it for the love of it.
Rest in piece.