Stainless stel rudder lines

More
11 years 4 months ago #14651 by drjay9051
I will be taking delivery of a second ski for big conditions. It is a Fenn Blue Fin. Currently paddle a V10 Sport.

I do not consider this a step down but rather a logical purchase as I am not comfortable taking the Epic into surf or big wind. The Blue Fin will allow me to paddle in alltypes of conditions. As they say "stability before speed."

Anyway, the Fenn comes with stainless steel lines. The Epic uses Spectra. I am wondering if anybody has had issues with the Fenn rudder lines in terms of rust or failure? Has anybody changed out the lines for either Dyneema or Spectra.

I would rather not mess with a proven product but also do not want to lose steering a mile or two offshore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14653 by Sandy
inspect , Inspect , INSPECT ! at some point the lines (regardless of being "stainless") will rust , likely failure points are crimps and connections and any where the cable is made to change angle (entries/exits in hull) and any adjusting mechanism/cable stops. ALWAYS RINSE with fresh water after paddling in saltwater , a little blast of sailcoat or similar may have some beneficial effect , oh yeah did I say INSPECT ! they do actually fail on occasion....

More
11 years 4 months ago #14655 by Kayaker Greg
Yes I've seen Fenn rudder lines fail.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14674 by Nige
If reliability is your primary objective then replacing stainless steel cables with spectra or similar is a step backwards IMO. Failures of stainless cables are rare and the only failures I've ever seen have been at the front connectors or back crimps, due to them being too loose or too tight. A cable failure out at sea is pretty easy to fix if you carry a spare piece of cord and have a paddling buddy with you, or you can also fit the hook tensioning system described elsewhere on this website which allows you to steer with only one cable.

In my experience cable failures on Fenns are very rare, and the majority of paddlers in our club paddle Fenns so we have a good sample size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drjay9051

More
11 years 4 months ago #14675 by RHamady
My Huki has stainless steel lines, I've paddled all of my friends ski's and by far, I think the stainless steel cables are far more responsive than other types of cables/lines. Again just my opinion, but I love the instant feedback from the stainless steel lines when turning, surfing etc.....

But like the other folks say, inspect for rust or lose connections at the fittings. I've had my steel cables for 3.5 years now with no problems.

Aloha,
-Rich

Latest Forum Topics