International ski race in Cape Town

More
11 years 4 months ago #14809 by Wally
I don't know everyone in the results but can anyone let me know who the international paddlers were.
This is a poor showing on the part of every other country competing in the WORLD SERIES(I had to check if this was an international ski race or US baseball).
If this was F1 you would have had maybe 3 cars racing because they were the only ones in contention for the title, maybe in some years gone by One.
The reporting is also very strange, without the official results you might have an idea who actually won the race, as for the rest of the places?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14812 by AR_convert
Sorry Wally, I should have invited you to our international time trial in Mandurah the other day, my daughter and I are current world double ski champions :P

Seriously though, I am simply am armchair observer and applaud Dean and the Oceanpaddler crowd for rolling their sleeves up and bringing all these events to peoples attention.

It may not be that we are going to see all the worlds best ocean paddlers at each event but I think these events have been helpful to grow the sport's profile and popularity as us mere mortals get to rub shoulders with and line up side by side with some internationals in "world cup" events.

I've no doubt the "world cup" tag helps in securing sponsorship dollars from corporates and governments in these areas.

Perhaps as the sport matures, the paddler base increases, more boats are sold and manufacturers start to work with perhaps an independent "race committee" we will see a truly world class field in all the events.

Until then I think most of us keen observers appreciate who the stand-out performers have been in certain races and conditions.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14830 by Ric
I, too, was looking forward to seeing some of the big Aussie names coming to our shores for the race... pity I didn't have the chance.

One thing to consider, is that after the Dragon Run the series was pretty much tied up already with Dawid Mocke in the lead.

As such, given that the "big names" are professionals, it might not have seemed worth the travel costs to compete. Sadly, that Aussie-SA flight is a real killer.

...anyway it was a great race, and I'm glad to have competed as a not-a-big-name back-of-the-pack non-international ;-)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14845 by tony h
would be great to see tim jacobs, clint robinson, murray stewart give the series a 100% commitment so as to clearly define world champ.......but suspect not a bigger enough 'carrot' financially as yet?

we all need to buy more ski's & gear so there is more money for sponsorship :-)

more of rambo-like footage to foster growth of a magic sport!!

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
11 years 4 months ago #14864 by Stew
We also had one of the biggest races on the Australia calender on the same weekend with the 20 Beaches. With the series won, it was hardly worth the big Aussie names heading over to Cape Town.

We'll see how it pans out next year, maybe a few more Aussies will make it to more races. Murray was obviously busy winning Olympic gold medals, with Tim as his coach, so was going to be a hard year for those two to make a lot of events. Both have showed in the last two big races (HK and 20 Beaches) what they can do.

Latest Forum Topics