Flow Superstar; Small person review

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14820 by Marieski
I recently was able to borrow this boat for 5 days (Thanks to the wonderful Ben from Next Level Kayaking). My intent was to replace my Custom Kayaks Horizon as my "Go out in any weather" boat". I recently managed to negotiate a 37Knot squall in the latter: up, cross and downwind, so, fabulously stable and controllable boat. But as usual, I wanted to see whether something else could do this and also go faster. I also have a Swordfish and a Stellar SES in Advantage layup. My main difficulties with boats have related to my light weight (58kg), which makes many skis difficult to manage in crosswinds. I mainly paddle in short wind driven chop and have to be prepared for very changeable wind strength and direction. The Superstar was very attractive because it was specifically built with a short nose and extra buoyancy behind the paddler, so great for short wavelength downwinds and negotiating messy stuff.

What I discovered on testing the four boats on triangular courses in differing windstrengths was that the Superstar is great in any amount of confused multidirectional chop, faster than any of the other three, regardless of overall weather direction. The SES, as expected, was harder to keep upright and the Horizon just slower from being shorter, wider and heavier. The nearest was the Swordfish, which the SS most closely resembles, but the latter has more primary stability, which helps it here. In wind of over 15kt or so, the advantage disappeared, especially with any amount of crosswind, because of the old problem with the nose blowing around. This included downwind with the wind on the quarter, probably also contributed to by the significant rocker and the fairly forward rudder position. The Swordfish and the Horizon were both easier to keep on a line.

Dead downwind though, it behaved just as advertised; the usual problem in short waves of being stopped by the one in front was much improved. It seemed to leap from wave to wave. What a joy!

I didnt have reproducible enough conditions to comment on flat water speed vs Swordfish. There wouldnt be much in it. In waves of a foot or less, the SES was obviously quicker and the Horizon slower, in any direction.

It is important to note that my observations are specific for light weight paddlers. It is likely that bigger stronger folks would find the SS quite fine in crosswind, but the relative performance viz. the other boats holds. The layup I paddled is carbon kevlar and significantly lighter than my vacuum Swordy, but bulletproof, according to the manufacturer.A heavier, cheaper fibreglass version is planned. It has an option for over stern rudder and for an Anderson Bailer (which was amazingly effective), a leash mounting point and easy footplate adjustment. The footwell and the catch are wider than the Swordy (didnt like that) and there are dual footstraps (did like). I found the bucket an unusual shape, like a tractor or antique motorbike, and not so comfortable for my coccyx after more than 90 mins. Others find it very secure and comfy.

The hump is big though a bit smaller than the Swordy and did allow me a bit freer leg movement. The remount is surprisingly easy as the cockpit sides feel quite high when you're sitting in it.

The SS would be an ideal boat for the Freycinet Challenge,a Tassie multisport event which is held in a large open bay, but moved inshore when winds are over 12-15kts. There tends to be uncomfortable chop and you could be happy the boat could not only handle but be quick in it, even if you've just jumped in off the bike.

Oh, and the SS won't replace the Horizon, as weather tends to include wind and not just waves.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Marieski. Reason: wrong word: obscure meaning

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics