Beginner and cockpit full of water

• ChrisQ
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14933 by ChrisQ
Beginner and cockpit full of water was created by ChrisQ
I was out a few days ago with the club's Fenn XT and I noticed that the cockpit had slowly filled with water and was not draining. The water was choppy (I paddle in a harbour area) and there were waves bouncing off breakwalls and larger swells coming in from the ocean.

In this I found it very difficult to maintain stability and I went for a swim maybe five or six times. I asked someone in the club about the cockpit being full of water and he said no, it would act like ballast. (In fact, he said that he had closed the drainage on purpose.)

Is this true? The problem is that I have been using XTs off and on since the summer with a fair bit of confidence and then to go out in some chop and find myself falling has left me wondering...
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by ChrisQ. Reason: clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14936 by richardh
Hi Chris.

In my experience, a small amount of water can make a tippy ski more stable, but I find a cockpit full of water makes the ski difficult to control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisQ

• gixer
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14937 by gixer
Replied by gixer on topic Re: Beginner and cockpit full of water
I find that a cockpit full of water makes the ski much more unstable

More
11 years 4 months ago #14939 by Kayaker Greg
I also find my Stellar and Epic skis less stable with water in, however others say different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisQ

• ChrisQ
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14941 by ChrisQ
Replied by ChrisQ on topic Re: Beginner and cockpit full of water
Gixer:

How do you find the Swordfish? I am between buying it and the XT. I've been told that getting a Fenn XT is probably a better choice for training, since it deals with the scrapes and bumps better than a Think or Epic.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by ChrisQ.

• gixer
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14943 by gixer
Replied by gixer on topic Re: Beginner and cockpit full of water
Hi Chris
This is my third Fenn and have found them very durable (I do take care of my skis though)
Flatwater speed is slightly quicker than an XT. The sides are higher than the XT so would be harder to remount. Its not as stable but find the stability predictable. It does like to catch runners easier than an XT, however when it is big you do need to watch the nose so it doesnt dig in but this is a minor flaw. The seat is very different to the XT and isnt for everyone. Some people say the hump is too high but havent found that myself. Both Fenns I would recommend depending on your experience. I havent owned an Epic or Think so cant comment on their durability. You say that you came out 5-6 times last paddle, if this is the case it sounds like the XT might be your best option. Id suggest you try the XT again with the venturis open.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14944 by Marieski
A cockpit full of water makes my boats wallow. Any given wobble is given more momentum by the extra weight. Which then doesn't correct with my normal shift in weight because it's not moving with the boat, but after it.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Marieski. Reason: Expanded explanation.

Latest Forum Topics