Questions about a Double Surfski

More
11 years 3 months ago #15058 by CoastPop
I currently paddle a Fenn XT Glass Vacuum single ski that I think is great for me (67 yrs old).

Today I bought a great condition 2nd hand Fenn XT Double and tried it out for the first time today which was different and raised a number of questions:

Do both paddlers need a leash to the ski. I currently, on the single use a leg leash attached to the footstrap.

Why did the ski feel as if the other paddler was wobbling the ski - he accused me and I accused him. Strangely enough the person I bought it from mentioned this as well - his wife was always blaming him and he said it was it was his wife that was the cause.

When we hit waves on the way out the ski filled up with water and took forever to drain.

Turning circle was huge compared to the single.

On the positive side, the ski was really fast when we put our backs into it.

Surfed fantastically.

Early days yet, but I think I am going to really enjoy it. Any tips and suggestions most welcome.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15059 by Trilobite
First of all, congratulations; the XT double is a great ski-fast enough, and quite stable in big water. I've had both the fg and now, the carbon layup. I've also owned the Elite Double, another outstanding boat.

If you've not paddled doubles before, the initial attempts might have you and your partner experiencing a case of the wobbles. This likely stems from staying tense in the boat. As with all skis, it's about bucket time, and acclimating to the paddle stroke and reactions of your doubles partner. Give it time, and be sure that you're strokes are synchronized.

Something else to try is that you have proper adjustment of the footplates to enable you to drive against it. The XT has very flexible plastic footplates in the rear stoker's footwells. It's easy with leg drive to flex them forward, lacking a solid rear platform. I've blocked mine out with construction styrofoam for my usual tandem partner. The Elite has rigid carbon footplates front and rear.

As to the draining, try epoxying venturi bullets on. It does help especially at slower speeds, but I've found the drain speed to be lacking as well. The good news is, the high side rails make for a dry ride to begin with.

One last mod you might make is to swap out the shark fin rudder for a squarer-edged version. Enjoy the boat!

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame
The following user(s) said Thank You: CoastPop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics