Wanted, Perfect chilly weather paddling pants.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15886 by Newbflat
I'm looking for what would be the perfect winter (and spring) paddling pants for me. I have a pair of NRS HydroSkin pants and for the most part like them. I wish they were a touch warmer on those extra chilly days thought. The nylon exterior has a bit too much evaporative cooling for those chilly breezy morning paddles. In a perfect world I would like a 1mm skin side out, fuzzy or loop fabric interior ( like the HydroSkin), with a nylon/ Lycra butt ( slippery ) and something over the knees for a bit of protection.

Anyone have any pointers to where I might find this elusive item?

Sorry, this should be in general not announcements.

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Newbflat. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15887 by Cell
I use the NRS rodeo pant and they are really good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbflat

More
11 years 1 month ago #15888 by mancapbol

More
11 years 1 month ago #15889 by Marieski
For me, it's about layering. On a previous discussion about padded pants, someone suggested Zhik deck beater shorts (thanks!) which I bought. They are slippery, which illustrated for me how your bum sticking to the ski helps stability, but really inhibits your leg drive. They are Lycra, so cool, but stretchy enough that I can wear them over the top of my wetsuit pants if a bit more warmth is required. Voila! Leg drive, even more padding, and now snuggliness!

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 1 month ago #15890 by lost john
Here's a vote for chillcheater.

Also I like point5 in NZ (more flexible), but I'm not sure if they are still in business.

They both have bespoke service for a reasonable bit extra fee.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15892 by Sandy
Chill cheater aquatherm is GREAT fabric , warm , quick dry , keeps the wind off and breathes , BUT it is super sticky in the bucket , I personally do not agree that sticky in the bucket equates to stability , I would say the opposite is true. For me being able to move allows the minute adjustments needed to stay balanced in the ski and hence the need to be paddling a ski with a bucket that fits the individuals rear end and hips.That humble opinion being stated , pull some board shorts on over those chill cheater pants and you are styling ! , the Chillcheater tops with the zippered or snap closure necks are awesome too.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15893 by Zivo
Try the sharkskin thermol clothing range. They where them in Canberra and I where them down the south coast of NSW for winter training. They are the warmest I have found and they also breath well.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15903 by owenw
Agree - Sharkskins; shorts for Spring/Autumn, longs for Winter (together with Sharkskin or NRS thermal socks). Tops; Adrenilin for Spring/Autumn (prefer the bright yellow colour) and Sharkskin (silver) in Winter. NB Sharkskins also are highly wind resistant, are as thermally good as a light/midweight wetsuit when immersed, and dry quickly. Top Aussie product!

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by owenw.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15904 by Newbflat
Thanks for all the replays. I'm curious about how the material like sharkskin stack up against neoprene during immersion and in the say 15 min after your up and paddling. Sharkskin says its as warm as 2.5-3 mm neoprene. Do they mean during immersion? Or just when dry and paddling?

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Newbflat.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15906 by duncangroenewald
I find the Sharkskin top too hot and also not flexible enough to give a good fit. I now use the Adrenalin top for winter or cool summer days (Melbourne) - between 10-20 degree C. NRS hydroskin long pants for winter training.

For really cold days < 10 deg C I use the NRS pants, booties and a waterproof paddle shell(Kokatat GoreTex Pullover) over the Adrenalin top. Hands still freeze a bit though and it gets rather warm under the shell unless there is quite a bit of wind blowing. Still I far prefer being too hot that too cold.

Having said that Sharkskin long pants would be good because I find I don't overhead in the legs and the NRS pants can be a bit chilly on very cold days < 10 deg C.

I just found the Sharkskin material doesn't have quite the same stretch and tends not to give a good body hugging fit - any loose pockets tend to be cold.

If its a long paddle (2hrs plus) then I use my Bomber dry suit over an adrenalin top and pants.

I agree about the smooth outer for the pants to avoid the evaporative cooling effect - guys down here use ChilliCheater gear which seems to have a nice smooth outer.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15982 by Hugh
Kokatat Surfskin pants. Similar insulation to 0.5mm neoprene, but no evaporative cooling and they dry much faster than neoprene. I'm very pleased with mine for training in freezing temps in a decked boat, so they should be good on a ski when it's a little warmer. Aquatherm sounds similar.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16065 by lost john
cc aquatherm vs kokatat vs hydroskin: I've used kokatat surfskin pants and LS top - its better than NRS hydroskin long pants against evaporative cooling. But chillcheater aquatherm is warmer both immersed and exposed (when wet), cooler when dry, and more flexible than kokatat in my experience.
Caveat: I've only used aquatherms shorts, short john, vest, and long/short socks.
John

Latest Forum Topics