84kg - small or big ski?

More
10 years 7 months ago #18234 by Part Time Paddler
Hi. Am getting a new ski but not sure which way to go.
With most skis being built for the 95-100kg paddler and now a few skis on the market for the under 80kg paddler what should someone like me do? I'm 84kg and I know most guys just paddle a standard ski, but I've been told so many times now that if you're under weight for the ski you wont sink it enough to a have gr8 ballance in rough stuff and you wont put the ends of the ski in the water properly to get proper water line length/flat water performance. (As I understand it, proper use of the water line length means the volume of the ski actualy has to be displacing some water/effecting the pressure wave the boat creates, being wet does not equate to contributing to waterline length achievable speed.) I'm now considering putting myself in an under 80kg boat like the spark as some have told me its less bad to be a little over weight for the boat than under weight for the boat. But obviously there are still people saying the opposite???

What is the general feeling out there? should I be in a big boat or a small one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18235 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic 84kg - small or big ski?
Fenn says the Spark is designed for paddlers up to 75kg. It has the same length as the Glide, and both skis have reduced rocker compared with the Elite or Elite SL, so their full length sits in the water even with lighter paddlers. At 84kg I don't think you're underweight for the Glide, and I believe the Glide is the better option for you.

I'm 90 kg and my brother is 84 kg and we both paddle Glides.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18238 by [email protected]
Personally I dislike being in boats that tend to dip their noses - here in Cape Town we often paddle downwinds in wind-generated chop (ie short, steep waves). I prefer a boat that has enough volume to reduce the tendency to nose-dive, and I would categorise almost all the "long" boats this way.

I've weighed 85-88kg (88 at the moment) for years and found most long boats fine - eg Fenn Elite, Evo II, V10, etc.

On the other hand I find the Swordfish sometimes a bit wet; I found the Vault quite wet.

So - my opinion? At 84kg I'd go for a long boat - if you're a Fenn man (and your balance is good!) I'd go Glide.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics