Tandem skis. How do i compare

More
10 years 6 months ago #18650 by wannagofast
I paddled a Huki Dbl. I had nothing to compare it with. In my neck of the World two used Dbl ski available. A Huki and a Stellar. Ive only seen guys in Fenns. Whats the stuff to know in comparing Dbls.
Im 5.7 and 170lbs. I paddle a Stellar SES comfortable. Love the fit.
Need some advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18651 by Kayaker Greg
I've only briefly paddled in a Fenn double, very fast (paddling partner was a way more experienced paddler than me) and the only advice I can share is that I see there is a Fenn double elite and a Fenn double XT and I'm not sure which one I paddled, probably the XT as if felt like it was a bit of a barge even though we were paddling it fast. I also came from an SES so anything feels a bit barge like if its bigger I guess.

Stellar also have two doubles, an SEL double which you might like seeing as you like the SES and an SE double, check them out on this page. www.stellarkayaks.co.nz/Surfskis.html

Guess it depends on your partner as well as expected conditions.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18678 by Rookie
Hi unless partners are life long friends my advice would be to get the most stable ski possible because conditions change and partners too. We have often used our double to introduce people to the fun of paddling and who knows you may end up doing the same.

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
10 years 6 months ago #18680 by [email protected]
I've only paddled the Fenn Elite Double and the V10 Double in recent years. In the Fenn I was in the back, but in the V10 I'm in the front - I own a glass layup V10 Double that we're going to do the Cape Point Challenge in.

It's difficult to compare the speeds of the boats but I can say that the V10 is easier to remount than the Fenn! The V10 has wider cockpits with lower rails. Previously we battled to remount the Fenn in Fish Hoek bay at the end of a downwind - and I think just about the first time we paddled the V10 we came out 2km out to sea at the lighthouse... I thought we were going to have some admin, but the boat proved exceptionally easy to remount.

I think the V10 is slightly more stable than the Fenn Elite double.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics