mauritas

More
10 years 6 months ago #18652 by boss
mauritas was created by boss
:) Hi , Looking at doing an oversees paddling experience to cellebrate 50th milestone. A friend recommended Mauritas but he has never been there himself. I am Just an average paddler and looking for something different and take the family. Looking at travelling from WA. Anyone got any advice at when there is event and who runs it.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18653 by zamalek
Replied by zamalek on topic mauritas
If you go to Dean Gardiner's website - www.oceanpaddler.com you will see the details on the 2014 Mauritius Ocean Classic.One of the better events on the calender.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18654 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic mauritas
Hong Kong Dragon Run is also a great holiday and an international ski race, but so I Mauritius.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18660 by Kelvin
Replied by Kelvin on topic mauritas
Hi Boss,
I've been to Mauritius with my family. The paddle itinerary catered for novice to elite paddlers with paddle sessions every day, even twice a day. I also took my wife and two kids of 4 and 6 years old. Families fully catered for and included in the paddling arrangements. Chose to paddle some days and just to holiday with the family on others. Great vibe, great resort, planning to go again in 2015. Quite pricey though, but what international holiday with the family isn't?

More
10 years 6 months ago #18661 by boss
Replied by boss on topic mauritas
Hi Kelvin, Thanks for that. Did you do it as a package deal or organise your own accomdation etc?I certainly want the family to enjoy it as holiday aswell as doing some paddling

Thanks

More
10 years 6 months ago #18667 by Kelvin
Replied by Kelvin on topic mauritas
Did a dinner bed and breakfast package. Lunch and especially beverages much cheaper in the super markets. Most people went on full board packages and didn't want for anything. Price difference considerable. Package deal makes the whole experience more comfortable. I didn't want to haggle about taxi fares to get to the resort for example, with two small kids at 21h00 after a long day of travelling! Spend your money Boss, you can't take it with you ;)

More
10 years 6 months ago #18681 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic mauritas
Both Mauritius and Hong Kong are worthy of being on a paddler's bucket list.

Mauritius is slightly more user friendly - almost everyone stays at the resort and you can chat with paddlers from all over the world at mealtimes; kids can play in the pools, on the beach and there's snorkelling available right there.

The paddling activities are laid on - there are paddles organised every day with trailers and buses to cart you about. You arrive at the end of a downwind and there's the trailer and bus to take you back to the resort again.

There's other stuff to do as well - the dolphin experience is well worth it (snorkelling with wild dolphins at Black River). You can hike in the centre of the island.

Hong Kong is perhaps a slightly more exotic destination, but you're pretty much on your own when you get there. Public transport is cheap and easy to use and of course the shopping is "better" than Mauritius, if that's what you're into. The race is great - the course is challenging and the event itself is really well organised.

I love both events, done both several times. But with family, Mauritius is probably your best bet. Think beach, tropical island, relaxing at the resort, outstanding paddling.

Hong Kong? Self help, amazing shopping, interesting place, great race.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics