Your most enjoyable aspect of SurfSkiing?

More
10 years 2 months ago #19870 by CoastPop
I have been surfskiing for about 2 years now and have attended and still attend the Mocke Surfski School in Fish Hoek where I have learnt an immense amount about the sport. I have taken part in the Series races in Cape Town, been on numerous social paddles - Cape Point, Robben Island etc etc but for me the most enjoyable aspect of surfskiing is DOWNWINDERS. There is no better feeling than surfing down ocean and wind swells and linking run after run. Am I alone on this???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19872 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic Your most enjoyable aspect of SurfSkiing?
For me it's paddling alone into oncoming 1.5m+ swell 2 Kms offshore light breeze towards the sunrise with mutton birds swooping overhead... I was wondering if this was what heaven was like?!

Paddling with 4 adult whales for 30 mins and finally paddling through dolphin feeding frenzy is up there too!

Jean

More
10 years 2 months ago #19874 by kiwi
Mutton Birds are named Sooty shearwaters here in Monterey Bay and they arrive in huge flocks of thousands of birds to feed on bait fish. They are the same birds that breed on the Chatham islands and apparently migrate around the entire pacific. The feeding frenzies are like Hitchcock's Birds movie(apparently he was inspired by a Shearwater/Muttonbird event where hundreds of disorientated birds crashed into Santa Cruz streets and yards)and sometimes it is unavoidable to have to paddle through their midst to get back to the beach. The noise of their wings and calls is incredible and low flying birds literally miss your head by inches. The bay here is incredibly rich and we just had an epic bait fish event along with record numbers of Humpback Whales in very close to shore. These wildlife encounters rank among my favorite surfski experiences along with howling northwesters down the coast.

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19875 by JeandeFlorette
I know what you are alluding to as I have paddled through The Birds before only to bump into a shark who was rounding fish with the assistance if the mutton birds. Recently they were dropping dead by the hundreds along the eastern coast of Oz as they were ingesting pumice stone then could not feed...

You can paddle at the same cruising speed as a humpback whale ie 9-11 km pr hr. You feel so vulnerable and humble whilst incredibly lucky to share their company. This to me makes a downwind sound a bit overrated although catching runs is fun too bit hey... Why run?!!

Jean

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #19876 by Ric
I'd have to say my Miller's Run times have improved a lot recently, and I'm really starting to enjoy them much more. Feeling more comfortable and being able to surf a lot of the way instead of plodding along... makes a big difference.

That said, what I would miss the most if I had to stop paddling, is the nature rather than the runs. Feeling almost like a naughty child getting to see things that most people never get a chance to - the whales, dolphins, seals, penguins etc.

Those stunning calm flat winter mornings where the sea is like glass, and the views of the land so serene all around... its those moments that I love the most.

LOL John, that might surprise you.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Ric.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19878 by [email protected]
For me the most enjoyable aspect is just being competent to handle rough water.

Last weekend, we had three different paddles, all of which just left me on a dopamine high..

1. Downwind in light conditions (reverse Millers Run). We had to paddle hard to stay on the runs and they were kind of technical in that you had to hunt for the next dip to make sequences... but it was great fun, great practise and an AWESOME way to end the week.

2. Saturday: No wind, bumpy sea in Hout Bay and we paddled out to Vulcan Rock which is located 4km straight out to sea from the entrance to the bay. We were totally relaxed going out, catching the occasional reflected swell off the cliffs under the Sentinel. On the way back we were with the swell, and by paddling really hard we could catch the odd ride. But when we were back in the bay, we saw almost the entire fishing fleet coming out and I caught three leaping, crashing, barely in control rides on the 3ft wakes running at 17kph behind them...

3. Sunday: Pretty much flat calm in the bay, light NW blowing and we chased an 88ton tourist cat out to Seal Island and back, wake-riding. Just so much fun. On the way out I stopped paddling, counting up to 180seconds before a wake from another boat hit me and caused me to broach off the wave... I simply caught the wave again one wave back and carried on. Too much fun.

And then on Tuesday we had a stand up, heads-down, all out dice in our Tuesday night series in Hout Bay - bumpy enough to make it just worthwhile to kill yourself to catch the waves... My race ended up with a sprint up the beach (which I lost)...

So yeah - I guess it's the interaction between the craft and lumpy water that turns me on. Just love it.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
10 years 2 months ago #19881 by Fuyang Guy
Until recently, I had never lived more than 5km's from the Indian Ocean. I lived to be in and on it.
Just being in the ocean takes me to a different level of calm. Stress relief; just add water
And then there are downwinds, forget about calming, but that is without doubt the most fun part of paddling. a similar rush to shooting rapids, but without the constant worry about rocks and hairy swims, and in good conditions, the fun just goes on and on.
Put me down for downwind

More
10 years 2 months ago #19883 by PaddleFaster
The beautiful, young, scantily clad, surfski groupies that follow us around everywhere we go and the wild parties we have at the ocean front mansions the lifestyle allows us all to afford...

More
10 years 2 months ago #19887 by crallan

PaddleFaster wrote: The beautiful, young, scantily clad, surfski groupies that follow us around everywhere we go and the wild parties we have at the ocean front mansions the lifestyle allows us all to afford...

Amen

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
10 years 2 months ago #19890 by 1xsculler
Most recently, getting back to terra firma after a life threatening experience as a result of stupidity.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JeandeFlorette

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19892 by JeandeFlorette

These guys are a surf club south of Sydney and obviously great paddlers... none of them fell off... nor were they wearing PFDs...! the waves were 4-5m... My most enjoyable 'non-paddling' moment for sure, my heart was pounding taking those pictures, I could not believe my eyes... through a 300mm zoom lens! No dogs! this surely sorts out boys from men!
Attachments:

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19893 by JeandeFlorette
I sure had stupid paddling days too... in my time!

(1) Barrenjoey Point in 4-5m swell & 25 knot+ winds ... needed an oxygen mask!

(2) Balmoral to Manly and back in 3m+ NE 20 knot+ on a Mako6 ... sat in an armchair blue and speechless for hours thereafter. My lady friend fellow paddler (little spartan pocket rocket!) told me that day that she though I was brave... foolish I'd say!

I won't do any of those again!

Jean

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19894 by JeandeFlorette

I once caught a 3m+ swell gale force easterly winds from the Heads of Sydney harbour and I surfer for a few hundred meters. I had the impression of not moving, the water looked still all around me, it was only upon looking at the cliffs in the distance that I realised that this was my first surfing experience in the Ozflyte Seamaster ... heavy hybrid spec/ocean ski ... wonder why I sold it! Must have caught the 'ski upgrade' bug!!!

Can anyone help cure this addiction...! I am Jean and am a ski upgrader... the last time I upgraded was 6 months ago, I swear...

Jean
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics