Rotator cuff surgery

• Yankee Paddler
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #20111 by Yankee Paddler
Rotator cuff surgery was created by Yankee Paddler
Has anyone had a full tear of the rotator cuff repaired and come back to race surfskis? If so, what was your expeirience? I have had surgery to repair both shoulders within the past 18 months and would like to do a 6 mile race in May, which will be 7 1/2 months since the last surgery. Thank you for any feedback>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20125 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Rotator cuff surgery
Sorry, cant help with the surgery/rehab side but a few months ago I started paddling with a parallel shaped blade instead of a teardrop (Jantex Gamma) shape and niggles I had previously had in my rotator cuffs disappeared. Also much easier on my shoulders during a race without a loss of speed. Slightly less stable with this blade in choppy water but for distance training its my go to paddle.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 1 month ago #20132 by rpmooreii
Replied by rpmooreii on topic Rotator cuff surgery
I have had rotator cuff surgery on one shoulder (21 years ago) and labrum surgery on the other (12 years ago). I have paddled/raced surfski and outrigger for years and never had a problem with either shoulder post surgery and rehab. I find that cross training with weights (military press, seated dumbbell press, side lateral raises, front dumbbell raise, upright rows, etc) in addition to body weight exercises (pushups, dips) help strengthen my shoulders and I rarely if ever have any soreness. Good luck!

...Roger

Latest Forum Topics