Secondhand beginner skis

More
9 years 5 months ago #22462 by Scooter
I'm a beginner paddler looking for a stable ski in Cape Town. Are there other places to look besides Gumtree? I'm going to test out a Horizon this weekend. Asking Price is R5500. Is this reasonable? Secondhand skis seem to go for anything between R1000 and R6000 in this category. I've paddled the Fenn Bluefin and wouldn't really like anything less stable than that. How does the Horizon compare? If I could get a secondhand Bluefin at a good price I'd be happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22466 by [email protected]
Check with Pete Cole, also with Brian's Kayaks and maybe Dawid as well on prices for second hand Horizons... It would have to be in very good shape to justify that price (I think)!

From what I remember, the Horizon is stable, but not quite as stable as the Bluefin - anyone else like to comment?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scooter

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22468 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Secondhand beginner skis
The Bluefin and Epic V8 are ultra stable skis, the Horizon isn't quite as stable as either of the above, but it is still quite acceptable as a beginner's ski, our club has trained lots of beginners on Horizons.

R5500 is pretty pricey for a 2nd hand Horizon, it would have to be as good as new to justify that price.

You may battle to find a 2nd hand Bluefin, they haven't been on the market for too long so there aren't that many around. Not too many V8's in SA either.

The Fenn XT is worth looking at too, basically the same stability as the Horizon.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Nige.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22473 by epic5253
Replied by epic5253 on topic Secondhand beginner skis
Worth a try - place a WANTED ad on gumtree - that's how I found my Epic V10 Sport.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22479 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Secondhand beginner skis
I sold my very good condition Horizon last season for R5000.

That price felt fair to me.

Its a very good boat, if a bit old. Easy enough to get you going, but I know of at least 1 green Horizon that has finished the Cape Point Challenge. So you could go real far with it.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22505 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Secondhand beginner skis
I just had a look for the ski you're mentioning. If its the Blue and white one from Grant, then its in fantastic condition, and probably a very fair price.

Nothing wrong with it at all, he's just upgraded to another boat. I know the ski and the owner - we paddle together regularly.

I'll let you decide whether that makes me biased ;-)

More
9 years 2 months ago #23463 by @Belzee1234
Also looking to upgrade my ski - I've heard good things about the Think Evo 2 by Carbonology. How about posting an advert on the various Facebook surfksi racing series pages, would that be uncool?
:unsure: :dry: :blush: :S

I'd rather be on a surfski?

More
9 years 2 months ago #23464 by [email protected]

@Belzee1234 wrote: Also looking to upgrade my ski - I've heard good things about the Think Evo 2 by Carbonology. How about posting an advert on the various Facebook surfksi racing series pages, would that be uncool?
:unsure: :dry: :blush: :S

I'd say go for it - if the message is unwelcome they'll delete it anyway, no harm done!

Where are you based?

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 2 months ago #23465 by @Belzee1234
Hey Robin, I'm living in Cape Town. I was thinking of posting on the Hout Bay Tuesday Series and the Fish Hoek pages.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23466 by [email protected]

@Belzee1234 wrote: Hey Robin, I'm living in Cape Town. I was thinking of posting on the Hout Bay Tuesday Series and the Fish Hoek pages.

Go for it...

I'd also give Orka Paddles and Brian's Kayaks a call and ask them if they know anyone with a second hand Evo II.

And... you could contact Hein van Rooyen at Carbonology Sports and ask him - it doesn't cost much to ship a ski from PE/EL or even Durban come to that.

Rob

More
9 years 2 months ago #23484 by @Belzee1234
Thanks for the contacts Robin, I will do!

Latest Forum Topics