Glide Swordfish Cockpit fit.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24976 by rudie
Hi All
Yes I did recently ask about the Glide to Elite Cockpit fit.
I did get to try the new Swordfish so now I have a newer comparison

So how do the two compare fit wise.
My leg inseam length is 80cm (skinny butt) and I can't stand the Elite Cockpit because my legs from bum to mid calves contact the long and high hump.
The Swordfish did still fell like my bum was lower than my feet, Im a K1 paddler so that isn't ideal. Though the cockpit was relatively OK.
So how do the Swordfish and Glides cockpits compare?
Cheers
Rudie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24979 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Glide Swordfish Cockpit fit.
Hi Rudie,

The older design Fenn cockpits had a high hump which a lot of paddlers (particularly shorter ones) did not like.

The Elite S, Elite S Double and updated Swordfish all have new cockpit designs with low humps which are a big improvement and very comfortable. To the best of my knowledge these are the only Fenns with the new cockpit design, but my info could be out of date.

The Glide's cockpit is the older style, and pretty much the same shape as the old Elite, but slightly narrower. If you're keen on the Glide you may want to check with Fenn whether an update is in the pipeline.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24986 by rudie
Replied by rudie on topic Glide Swordfish Cockpit fit.
Thanks Nige
Looks like the Glide is off the wish list. Unless I can find a cheap one and spend on modifying the hump?
That sucks cause the Epics are just too damn ridiculously expensive.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24988 by ElRicho
I have an elite S and used to have an elite. The set up is def better (re hump). The only ski that seems to be K1ish will be a nelo. A lot of people will add height to their existing seat to K1 it up, but of course that will effect your stability.
In regards to height, I am 1.78 and the standard elite IMO was too big for me to get leg drive (without seat padding). The new S is is better but I wouldn't want to any shorter.

Hope that helps.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24989 by AR_convert
How good would it be if manufacturers stated what the foot to seat height differential was.

Any ski is going to feel like you are sitting on the floor after getting out of a K1 :P

I have successfully raced my Flash in marathon flat water races with a 5cm bucket lift from standard ( which I believe is 2.5cm above heels?) , so some skis could afford a higher seat depending on the conditions they are used. I wouldn't be trying the 5cm lifit in the ocean though. :unsure:

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 6 months ago #24992 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Glide Swordfish Cockpit fit.
Yes, all good comments from the other guys on this thread.

The way I see it, if you're paddling flat water and out and out speed is your objective, then a padded seat Glide could work, obviously at the expense of stability. (Or check whether Fenn is planning to bring out an updated Glide.)

If you're paddling in bumpy water then the speed differential between a Glide and Elite S is insignificant (the Elite S is actually faster in rougher conditions.)

The Elite S is the ski of choice for almost all the top sponsored Fenn paddlers (as opposed to the Glide) and recently won the world surfski champs in Tahiti as well as Molokai.

More
8 years 6 months ago #25005 by rudie
Replied by rudie on topic Glide Swordfish Cockpit fit.
Yes I find it kind of funny.
All these years of so called improvements and it appears the Elite S is just a Elite hull with the seat and rudder a bit forward and a smaller hump.
Talk about Back To the Future.
I asked Fenn but didn't get a straight answer if the cockpits are any different. Just the usual. Try it. Yes that would be nice if I had that option.
For my thinking if you fit anyway, buy a good second hand Elite and pad the back of the seat that 50mm, its not much really.
Well looks like its a no go direction. Shame.
Thanks everyone.

Latest Forum Topics