Looking for old V12

More
5 years 8 months ago #32271 by mickeyA
Looking for old V12 was created by mickeyA
I apologize for a post that applies to so few, but I’ve had no luck on my own. I live in SE USA. I want an old, beater, cheap, watertight, gen1 V12 for practice on flat water. Not to replace my nice V10Sport, just to play around with. It seems there would be very limited demand on out of date elite skis because elite paddlers want or need the latest and greatest, and beginners cannot handle them. d0uglas had one as his first ski, not a good fit, sold it for $300—I tried to buy it but too late (I would pay more than that). Zach Handler looked for one before getting a nice deal on brand new g1. Zach, I sent you private message via this site, but not sure that works. Let me know what you discovered in your search. I suppose Fenn elite, SEL, et al would do, but most of those seem to be latest model that have not dropped in price. Anyway, if anyone hears of such a boat, please let me know. Thank you, MickeyA.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32281 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Looking for old V12
You might consider a gen1 Uno max, Red7 pro, Fenn glide, Fenn elite sl, Stellar SES, Carbonology Flash or Atom.
The fenn's especially were not that well received and you can get pristine skis at really good prices. The V12 is pretty short in the legs, so if you fit in that you should fit a gen 1 SES. All these skis are seriously quick, relatively cheap and would be fun on flat water.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32283 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Looking for old V12
If you can fit, I know someone is the Washginton DC area who has a gen 1 SES for sale. Probably $800-$900 is good condition.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32284 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Looking for old V12
If you are just looking for a FAST ski and not concerned about stability.
The old Fenn Millennium is still probably one of the fastest skis ever made. Here's one for example purposes only. Some have adjustable foot pedals I believe. See them posted regularly.

sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/d/surfski/6657941704.html

More
5 years 8 months ago #32285 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Looking for old V12
Thanks for the suggestions. I am 95-100 kg, 200+ lbs, 6'. I think the SES would be too small, as would boats such as elite spark. I'm also not sure I would fit in uno max, would I? I used to paddle stellar SE excel and it was fine in flat, but very sensitive to chop. I think SEL is for larger folks, vs SES, and I assume an improvement on SE. I certainly want adjustable footwell, low hump. Would like to paddle in some races, maybe small downwind, so not looking for ultra ultra tippy. I would rather stick with standard 43cm, 17". Fenn elite, which pre-dates SL, glide, spark, and S, thus cannot be in high demand, should be cheap, but rarely see those here. I will look into the out-of-production carbonology skis. I will be on lookout for old V12 g1, Elite, and SEL (g1?), as well as other 43cm/17" wide fairly modern skis for larger guys. Let me know if you see anything near SE USA. Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
5 years 8 months ago #32286 by sski
Replied by sski on topic Looking for old V12
Millenium like a V14 or what would be instability/stability equivalent??

The ad says great for EPPIES! (they are stopping that race from what i've heard- should be more surfskis coming on the market!)

More
5 years 8 months ago #32287 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Looking for old V12
I think you would be too big for an SES. Gen 1 SEL would be good. Uno max you would fit but they are a twitchy boat in chop, but would be great as a flat water boat. Atom is impossible to remount. Flash is a chance. Original Elite is more stable than you would think and would be ok in small organised downwinds. The Elite SL is also more stable than you would imagine, but both the Elites are buggers to remount. Both are much better downwind than the v12. I sold my Elites, because I was to scared to paddle offshore because no matter how much I tried I couldn't sidesaddle to remount, and I'm similar dimensions to you. I bought an ultra gen 1 SEL. Not the fastest, not the most stable, not the best downwind, but its above average in all categories. A good allrounder and easy to remount.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32293 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Looking for old V12
This one is a beauty and not a beater but I think you'd love the ski so much you'd be glad it's nice. I would make sure your hips can fit in a 16 inch wide bucket. I'm 165 and 5"10 and it's a perfect fit. One donut and I wound be able to fit. Great ski for flatwater.

www.surfskinews.com/classifieds-blog/201...no-max-ultimate-1500

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
5 years 8 months ago #32294 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Looking for old V12
One more thing. After all these months for sale and being so far inland I'd talk them down a good bit, even though the skiing price is very much worth it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
5 years 8 months ago #32323 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Looking for old V12
Just found this in MD. That's a killer price!

distressedmullet.com/classifieds/other/epic-v-12-gen1/

More
5 years 8 months ago #32328 by mickeyA
Lakeman, thanks, I asked about the uno max but no reply. I think it is sold. I look at surfskinews.com and I do not see it, other than from your link. I wonder if I could fit in an uno max (6’ 200+ lbs, 95 kg). Really nice boat, though.

Kwolfe, another nice find. I do not look at distressed mullet, but will check it out. It is also on surfskinews. That is basically what I am looking for, but it is 11-12 hours away. I will ask if he is coming to Chattajack.

I see Stellar SEA is coming out, so maybe SEL skis will become more available at lower prices, especially g1 models.

Other than surfskinews, craigslist, surfskiracing.com, distressed mullet, and kayaktrader.com, what other sites do Surfski owners post to in USA?

Thanks.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32403 by mickeyA
Well, back to the drawing board. While I thought I had an agreement to buy the V12 g1 performance Lakeman pointed out, seller had a change of heart and sold it elsewhere before we met. Incredibly frustrating. So where else do you go to find used ski's in USA? surfskinews.com, surfskiracing.com, distressed mullet, kayaktrader, craigslist are all I know of. I obviously do something wrong since every time I see a boat I want, the whole world is interested in it, not budging on price, in high demand...Then when I try to sell a ski...crickets. SA, Aussie guys, consider yourself very lucky that there is an active secondary market. In SE USA, market is NOT liquid. So, if anyone knows of a non-current model (cheap, <$1k) V12, Elite, Elite SL, SEL, Uno Max, etc. in SE USA, please let me know. Also, I have a Fenn Tarpon spec ski, rock solid, fixed footwell, for sale for $500. And a classic Twogood Chalup-ski (signed by Oscar) for $300 (faster than V10Sport, imo). Any general help in how to best trade skis will be greatly appreciated.

Latest Forum Topics