Carbonology Boost LV

3 months 4 days ago #36351 by Rod
I I paddled a Carbonology Cruze for two years and was very pleased with the build quality, characteristics and not least the local dealer. Last year I "upgraded" to a Boost LV . The ski is great apart from one issue: the footwell is always full of water. The bailer doesn't work for me. Unlike the Cruize , which has the same system that kicks in at around 4km/h, the Boost LV doesn't start draining until 8-10 km/h . Unfortunately this is far beyond my cruising speed.
The dealer fitted a spring loaded "golf ball" system to close the drainage holes but it just delays the problem, and my feet are constantly in cold water (I live in Sweden and the water is always cold).
A friend suggested plugging the holes and fitting a De Brito bailer instead it I'm not too sure. I don't think my weight is an issue as I weigh 75kg.
Appreciate any help. It's a pity as it's a great ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 4 days ago #36359 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Carbonology Boost LV bailer
Are you sure the bailer is opening fully? On boats with bailers, the drainage only works efficiently with the drain fully open(unless you are at speed). It sounds like something is stopping the bailer from opening fully.
On my v10 if the drain is open it will drain at low speed. Partially open it drains at 12kph. Slower than this and it simply fills with water. 

3 months 3 days ago #36363 by Rod
Replied by Rod on topic Carbonology Boost LV bailer
Thank you for taking an interest in my plight. Carbonology skis are fitted with a scupper Venturi bailing system. The two drainage holes are permanently open. Water is sucked out by the pressure difference created when the ski moves forward. I've tried decreasing the diameter to increase the pressure difference but to no avail.
Many thanks.

3 months 3 days ago - 3 months 3 days ago #36368 by jmden
Replied by jmden on topic Carbonology Boost LV bailer
That is not a bailer, then. But simply scuppers/venturis with venturi covers. 
I have the same system in a FENN. Adding carbon 'bullet's made a big difference. Just used some 3M 4200. 

https://www.oceanpaddlesports.com/store/Bullets-CARBON-p79286407

https://www.surfski.info/forum/search.html?query=bullet&childforums=1

That is really weird that your other boat had the same system and worked much better...what's the difference?

3 months 2 days ago #36371 by Rod
Replied by Rod on topic Carbonology Boost LV
Thanks. The Cruze has the same system,  and both skis are fitted with bullets as standard.  Not sure why it works well with the Cruze but I'm beginning to think that it's because the Cruze is an entry level ski and the system is dimensioned thereafter. The LV is more intermediate,  and probably the higher speed (8-10km/h) to drain it is all part of the package. Pity. It's a nice ski. Thanks once again for suggestion.

3 months 2 days ago #36373 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Carbonology Boost LV
My Boost LV came with some kooky one way valve arrangement in the venturies that minimised water coming into the cockpit when the boat was stationary. Although it did do it's job; it also really slowed down the water draining out while moving. This was completely unacceptable to me as I use this ski in very rough conditions. I cut the valves out after my first paddle. It now drains quite well. Not as well as a De Brito bailer but similarly to the Fenn skis I've owned.

Current skis:
Epic V10L, Think Zen, Fenn Bluefin, Fenn XT double

Previous skis
Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn XT, Spirit PRS

Most with DK rudders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod

Latest Forum Topics

Sit bone pain (8 Posts)

7 hours 25 minutes ago

Is Surfski Super Tippy? (22 Posts)

7 hours 36 minutes ago

Boat length - interesting analysis (6 Posts)

9 hours 2 minutes ago
Protected by R Antispam