Boat sock/cover

More
4 years 3 days ago #36474 by kwolfe
Boat sock/cover was created by kwolfe
Hey everyone.  I know this has been mentioned in the past but never really made a topic.  Has anyone here made a inexpensive cover for their ski?  I see Epic now has a sock which looks nice accept that it's $100 and not sure why they made it black with white stripes.  Wouldn't that be warm in the summer sun? 

I really just want one to keep the sun off my two skis.  My OC1 came with a cover already. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 days ago #36475 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Boat sock/cover
Mississippikayaks.com in Lake Placid NY. I have 3 light blue socks that I paid 70.00 each for. They have held up really well so far.

More
4 years 2 days ago #36478 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Boat sock/cover
I've never made one, but I have the Epic sock for my V8pro. I had to keep my boat outside for a couple months while I worked in Maine. It was out of the sun, but I needed to protect the boat from pine sap. It is also nice when traveling to keep stone chips and bugs off the bow.

More
4 years 2 days ago #36479 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Boat sock/cover
Yeah it kind of stink but in the house I live in now, the garage is only 19ft, so both skis and my OC1 live on the fence.  I put them in a place that gets the least sun during the day but I would like to provide some more protection.  

I have plans to lengthen my detached garage but I've got a kitchen to finish remodeling, custom closet to install for my wife and bathroom to gut and redo first.  Ugh, makes me tired thinking about it.  

Might also think about building a long slim roof for the fence also.

More
4 years 1 day ago #36493 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Boat sock/cover
just make sure you get one for prolonged outdoor storage rather than just a transportation one

More
4 years 1 day ago - 4 years 1 day ago #36495 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Boat sock/cover
I had a cover made out of Tyvek that worked well for outdoor storage on a Kevlar canoe.

I've used a blue tarp but that can seal in moisture so can cause things to rot or water damage.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft
Last edit: 4 years 1 day ago by agooding2. Reason: Fixed typos

More
4 years 14 hours ago - 4 years 14 hours ago #36505 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Boat sock/cover
For outdoor rack storage (not car-top transport) I buy some 25'x8' 85%+ shade fabric. That's enough for two covers when cut in half length-wise (4' wide shade fabric is not common). Costs about ~$40, need to look around for the cheapest length. I use staples to close the front and back such that it's a bit tensioned and thereby holds, add a dab of silicone glue over the staples and then cut a slit for the rudder. If ambitious, add a flap to go over the rudder. When the ski is on the rack (upside-down) the cover basically hooks in the front, hooks in the back and then the sides hang down, can also be tucked in between ski and rack. Overall provides UV protection more than anything else, which is what I need.
This is the most recent stuff I bought:  www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYDQMT8
Last edit: 4 years 14 hours ago by tve.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36511 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Boat sock/cover
tve, not a bad suggestion.  Also really cheap for two boats.  I've had a shade sail in the past.  That material seem a little abrasive.  I'm sure different brands are different feeling though.  I was just thinking about the windy days and would it scuff the gel coat.

Latest Forum Topics