Looking for new ski

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #40706 by Equibelle
I need to drive several hours to get anywhere to try out new surf skies. I have no experience other than in my super stable Futura II and my (to me) super tippy Findeisen X and would like something in-between with newer design. Both are 1998 models with double foot wells and no foot strap. The Findeisen's cockpit is a tad too narrow and hurts my hips after a couple of miles so I need a little larger bucket.

I'm a female, but tall at 5'11". I have good balance but the Findeisen is not comfortable and I have been washed over when motorboats go by too fast and close...still learning. There is a Stellar dealer 5+ hours away so I was thinking of trying out a Falcon due to comments about wider seat but it's a new design and i want rather buy used. I'm rough on my boats, loading and unloading myself, so a new boat would get old quick. Anyway, is there something similar to to the Eagle which has been out for a while?

I do fitness paddling on local rivers and also club races. I have no one to train with so avoid open water. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #40710 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic Looking for new ski
Where are you located ? Weight, age ? Off the top of my head I'd say look for a used Fenn XT. Other possibilities are Epic V10, V10 Sport, V10L, Fenn Swordfish, Stellar SR. These are all intermediate level skis that have been around for awhile and show up occasionally on the used market. In my opinion stay away from full carbon lay-ups- very light but also very fragile.
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Steve Hansen. Reason: addition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equibelle

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #40711 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Looking for new ski
If you can, try out a newer Nelo 520. They come in 3 sizes with 15kg increment.. Faster than it appears on paper and quite stable (but not as stable as V8 lineup as I hear, but I suspect won't be an issue for you). The dimensions are of a beginner boat but this is deceptive since it is not quite in that category.
540, 550 may be an option too depending on how they feel.

In terms if being rough on boats, I am not sure how heavy your older boats are but if you end up with something relatively new of elite-like layup it will be easy to load and carry. My 520 is 27 lb and it's easy to be gentle on in on land.
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #40712 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Looking for new ski
SpaceSputnik makes a very good point in relation to being hard on boats. Light boats are very easy to load, unload and launch without being rough on them. That's not to say you should buy the very lightest layup because they tend to be very rigid which is great for performance but not so much for durability.
Stellar skis do tend to have fairly wide buckets. An excel layup of the Stellar model that best suits you would be an excellent choice. The excel layup is light and durable.
It sounds like you take your paddling reasonably seriously so it doesn't make sense to me to compromise on your enjoyment by limiting yourself to secondhand skis that may or may not be the right design.
A trip to your closest Stellar dealer would be an excellent investment in your paddling development. If you make a weekend of it; you can spend enough time testing the skis you are considering. Make sure to spend the same or similar time in each boat as you would do in normal use. There are comfort and stability issues that sometimes don't become apparent immediately. The dealer might have some well priced demo skis for sale.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Atlas.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #40713 by Equibelle
Replied by Equibelle on topic Looking for new ski
Thanks for suggestions. I just learned that Paddle Attic, a Stellar dealer, moved a couple hours closer to me. Turns out someone else with a stable of boats I can try is located in the same county. Oh, and one other reason for getting a used boat is I don't have a garage. My boats are stored under a shelter and the one I am paddling at the moment is left on my car. I know. Not good.

Latest Forum Topics