Re: V10 Sport Ultra

More
16 years 4 months ago #1457 by Dave
Re: V10 Sport Ultra was created by Dave
Thanks for responding Rob. The owner is asking $2700 us. He says the boat is in new condition. I'll find out this weekend when I paddle it. I sometimes loose focus when I read ultra light, carbon/kevlar.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 4 months ago #1458 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra
I'd like to hear your comments after your paddle. I have just taken delivery of a brand new Epic V10Sport Ultra and I am very impressed with the build quality, the weight and the ride. It is a real pleasure to handle on and off the water.

Although it feels strong I am very concious about not denting it, not from remounting but from knocking against other boats and rocks. The boat has warnings stuck on to it about taking extra care and the Epic site has this disclaimer on the Utra's.

Ultra Disclaimer
A NOTE ABOUT EPIC'S ULTRA KAYAKS:

Epic Kayaks is committed to manufacturing the finest kayaks available, using only the highest quality materials. Our Ultra boats are exceptionally light and require more care when handling.

Avoid direct impact with hard objects such as rocks, which can dent and/or delaminate the lightweight honeycomb core.

Do not tie this boat directly onto hard metal racks. Appropriately shaped saddles or padding are required to eliminate stress concentrations when transporting these boats.

Happy paddling!

More
16 years 4 months ago #1459 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra
I'm really looking forward to paddling the boat. I read that disclaimer and contacted Epic. here is the reply. The Ultra disclaimer is not meant as a warning so much as a reminder that these ultra-light boats do require a little more care when handling. Realistically, most people would apply the same care to any model boat they choose, but the Ultra lay-up is more susceptible to dents and dings from direct impact on hard objects. This isn?t because the boat is weak in anyway, it is because of the Kevlar and Nomex foam core construction, which is simply not is impact resistant. On the water these boats are actually stiffer and stronger then our Performance construction. It is really on land where more diligence is required, i.e. don?t drop it on rocks, watch out when maneuvering in tight spaces, etc. Again, you would most likely take this care with any type of boat. I do paddle an Ultra V10, and always will. I have full confidence in it, and I like to baby my boats anyway!

Regards,
Chris Laughlin
Epic Kayaks - designed by world champions

More
16 years 4 months ago #1460 by Ritchie Cunningham
I have a 20mm X 3mm dent incurred during a split-second moments inattention while offloading. Made me sick, sick, sick. Have been keeping an eye on it, and after lots of hard paddling, there are still no visible cracks in the gelcoat. The surrounding area of the hull still feels solid.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1461 by [email protected]
Paddled with Alain on his new V10Sport Ultra tonight on a mild Millers Run (downwind) and have to say I've not seen anyone so much like a kid with a new toy for ages...

Al has a new baby at home & hasn't been able to spend much time on the water (as in he's only paddled a couple of times in the last three months).

He was grinning like a Cheshire cat and kept saying, "I love this boat"...

So I guess the ski has got something right... Oscar Chalupsky has bet me that I'll beat my current personal best on the Millers Run on the ski - I'm not sure but I'm going to give it my best shot.

(Oh - and I had twenty minutes undivided coaching on the runs from Oscar tonight - a great experience. All I want to do now is get out there & practise what he said...)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 4 months ago #1462 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra

Oscar Chalupsky has bet me that I'll beat my current personal best on the Millers Run on the ski - I'm not sure but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Rob dont you own a carbon mako 6 at the moment? If so would you seriously get of that onto the sport

More
16 years 4 months ago #1463 by [email protected]

Rob dont you own a carbon mako 6 at the moment? If so would you seriously get of that onto the sport

My gut feeling is "no way!" but that's at least partly a kind of macho "Ha! I wouldn't be seen dead on a beginner's ski!" kind of reaction. Oscar's making the point that for a "beginner's ski" the V10 Sport is still a fast boat - and that for many people stability is more important than hull speed. That's why he's challenged me to do some downwind runs on it. (But after last night I may have a problem getting my hands on it - seems Alain has fallen in love with it!)

So, no, I'm not likely to switch to a V10Sport any time soon but that's probably for the wrong reasons - and I am curious to see how fast I can go downwind on it.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 4 months ago #1464 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra
In the V10 Sport Ultra I have found a boat that is close to perfect for me. My priorities at the moment are safety, fun, comfort and speed in that order. I was expecting safety and comfort from the V10 Sport which it delivers in buckets. I hoped it would be fun and it really is, I was grinning from ear to ear and making whoop whoop sounds yesterday.

But what really blew me away is the speed, to give you an idea my best time for a Miller's Run is 54 mins which was done on a Mako6 in perfect conditions at my peak fitness. Yesterday I did 56 mins in the V10S in mild conditions without trying and after having paddled only 4 times in the last 6 months due to family commitments. I don't know how I managed that time because I only have the fitness to catch a fraction of the runs.

In this boat with some training I think I will comfortably break 50 mins. For me the V10S is the most under-rated boat on the market. And I haven't even mentioned the weight and quality of the Ultra which are superb. (if you can afford the Ultra it is a must).

When conditions are right we'll put Rob in the V10S Ultra and watch him set his new Millers best.

Latest Forum Topics