How do you know?

More
15 years 8 months ago #2393 by John Sanderson
I purchased a V10 Sport about 8 weeks ago and paddle about twice a week. I think I'm progressing ok but still fall out now and again and remain unsteady given windy sloppy conditions.

The talk in other threads of using foam to bulk out the seat area giving more control has got me wondering. How do you know if you need to use the foam or in my case the supplied Epic devices.

Cheers John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #2394 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:How do you know?
Try them, they do make a big difference, especially if like a lot of people you find the Sport seat very roomy. The pads keep me centered in the seat. The pads combined with a firmly adjusted footstrap give more "hold" on points.

BTW The Epic pads are starting to come away from where they were attached on my Sport.
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by superted.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #2397 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re:How do you know?
John,

You may find that you don't really need to foam out the seat at all, just need more time in the boat in sloppy conditions.

I've got two V10 Sport for my club. One is foamed (3/4 of an inch) on each side of the seat, the other is not. I've only ever met one person who needed a seat that wide. Perhaps the Aussies can make some jokes about fat assed Saffers here, but as North America is not exactly know for its good diet and fitness these days, I won't.

I've been paddling for about 16 months now. Although I prefer the padded boat, I don't need it any more. I find that the difference between the two is minimal. There is a bit of "butt wiggle" in the unpadded seat, but it doesn't really affect my paddling that much.

About 6 months ago, after a scary day in ugly cross chop, I asked if there were any areas I should work on. I got some great advice from a Jeff Raymond of the Burnaby Canoe and Kayak club. He suggested shortening my stroke a bit. The idea is that the boat is more stable when under power. Over the next few months, I've pressed him for more help. Here are a few of the things I've gleaned from him.

- Sit up straight - When you slouch, your balance is crap and you are more likely to practice your remount. This also allows you to get a decent reach for your catch.
- Learn a low brace - As a learner, its probably your most important stroke.
- Eyes forward - When you look down, your balance is crap, but at least you get to practice your remount.
- Let the boat take the wave - This sounds easier than it is, but skis are not kayaks, no thigh braces, so you can't power them any way other than forward. Don't try. Ride the boat, let the boat ride the waves.
- Keep paddling - The boat is stabilest when under power.
- Go paddling - If you are unstable, you won't get better unless you spend more time in the boat. Experience is key.
- Get some coaching - Learn how to do it right, before you get some really bad habits.

He would also smile and tell me to get rid of my crap boat and buy a real boat like an Evo. But he used to sell them, so you can't fault him for that one.

Don't bother buying the Epic pads. They are expensive and the glue doesn't have a good rep. Some simple closed cell foam, rubber cement, some duct tape and you're golden. Its cheap and if it turns out that it doesn't work for you, some nail polish remover and its back to square one.

Let us know if it helps you.

-

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #2400 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re:How do you know?
Sorry, forgot to add.

RELAX - when your stiff, you swim.

I borrowed a carbon V10 for our local race last night. It is much tippier than the Sport, but its also faster and easier to carry up the hill. New boat to me, so I expected to be unstable, but not as unstable as I was.

Wind was strong for Indian Arm, perhaps started at 12 kmph and built to 18, with a 1/2 to full meter chop. The course had us with wind and waves coming from the side for most of it.

I did not want to swim and I fought hard against it. I wasn't relaxed. Every third stroke was a brace. It was a battle. Mostly against myself though. It was not fun. Only with a swam did I realise just how stupid I was being.

After getting back into the boat, shaking the head a bit, I was able to relax and extend my arm and put in a good stroke. Thats when you start to value just how much fun our sport is and how good a boat the V10 is. I linked wave after wave and got some good speed. It was more fun.

Marshall, if you ever need someone to babysit your boat again, I vollunteer.

Cheers

Sean

More
15 years 8 months ago #2402 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re:How do you know?
Hi guys

Great response thanks very much for the advice. I have fashioned some foam for the seat and will glue in today. Hopefully the weekend will see the first run I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your advise DC.

Cheers
John

PS where is the spell check for the forum?

More
15 years 8 months ago #2409 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re:How do you know?
Up date

I tried out the padded seat today and straight away felt more stable and in control. Admitedly it was not to sloppy but there was some cross chop from boat wakes but at all times I was able to correct the ski movement without 'loosing touch' with an unstable bum. I'm looking forward to a bigger day to really give it a test. The only time I fell out was as I got tired and lost concentration.

Thanks to all for your help.

Cheers
John

Latest Forum Topics