Newbey question - Water in the bulkhead?

• AndyN
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3632 by AndyN
Newbey question, I've had my Red 7 pro 70 for a month now (1st Ski) paddled it tonight for about an hour then when I got back to the beach I played around trying deep water remounts as the weather was good. So after 30 mins playing around I took the boat home and took the bung out and when I put it on the rack I noticed that there was around a cup full of water that came out of the bulkhead.

Is this normal? :( If so where is the water getting in?
I assume it can only be via the rudder cable routing.
On the other paddles I've had in the boat I've not noticed this happen before.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3633 by MikeWoodrow
Andy,

Trouble-shoot a few areas first:

Check around all the seams for any cracks.
Check around the rudder shaft tube for any sign of gaps/cracks.
Check around the drain holes for any cracks/movement.
Other than that, you could always take off all the fittings and refit them with a fresh application of silicone.

Having grown up with dinghy sailing, there is almost always some water that gets in somewhere, especially after a few capsizes ... but really it shouldn't happen on a ski with so few fittings.

Michael

More
14 years 7 months ago #3634 by keithnix
As long as your bung is in place you shouldn't be getting any water into your ski.

Inflate your ski a little by blowing into where your bung goes and look for air hissing out or bubbles. You can even spray a little dishwashing detergent on suspect areas from a spray bottle to create bubbles.

Then repair or have someone repair the issues. Having water inside the ski may cause your ski to soften in time apart from slowing you down so very worth fixing!

• AndyN
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3638 by AndyN
Thanks guy's, the thing that surprised me was that when I removed the bung there was that customary hiss of the air being released under pressure.
Which to me indicates that the bulkhead is not just watertight but airtight. But then as i tilted it to put it on the rack I could hear water running from one end to the other.
The boat is brand new, and hasn't really seen any action that could cause damage. But i'll check the seems just to make sure.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3641 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:Newbey question - Water in the bulkhead?
Same ski (but older) and same issue. Blowing air into the bung (please dont kick me off for lewd remarks) I found a leak at the foot drains (and that's tricky to repair with the bullet placement). Would be best to take them off, repair and attach again but not too bullish on that.

Anyway i think that the rudder cabling is sealed off (and cant let water into the ski) so thats not it. Cup full of water cant get in via the breather either so cant be that either.

S.S.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3642 by Boof Head
I had a fair bit of water getting into my old Red7 Surf70.
I found the most effective way to detect leaks was to add a couple of litres of water along with black food dye and replace bung and tape up breather tube. Lay the ski on edge and raising/lowering stern so that the water would find its way into cracks. The black dye was very efective for pin pointing leaks. Flip over and do other edge. flip again so boat is completely upside down to check deck fittings.

I suspend my boats from rafters using cam buckle tie downs for raising/lowering which made the process fairly easy but resting on a raised surface such as a box. saw horse would do.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3646 by postal256
my Mako Mill has been leaking for ages and I recently did a thorough search for the holes. I used some soapy water filled the boat, then sat the boat in the yard in the hot sun. It took some searching, but I found some pinholes in the seat area. That makes sense because on really flat days I don't get much water in the hull, while on wet days (where water is sloshing in the bucket the whole time), I get quite a bit.

Good luck

• AndyN
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3663 by AndyN
Found it!:) The water is getting in round the right hand scupa! Didn't need to look for bubbles poured in a cup of soapy water and watched it drip out quite quickly.
Left hand one seems fine though. Bit disappointed that it's leaking after just a few weeks especially as the most extreme conditions it's seen is about 1ft waves and force 3 wind on the south coast of England!
But hey ho at least it should be easy to repair and I do love paddling it, it's a great boat.
Thanks for help people.

Latest Forum Topics