Re: Legend

More
16 years 2 months ago #1673 by [email protected]
Second batch. Interesting hull shape!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 2 months ago #1674 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: Legend
That IS flat. I wonder what the experts have to say. What is the drawback of having such a flat bottom and sharp angles? I looks :-\ like it is very stable but slow in the chop as those angles resist the roll.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1675 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Legend

That IS flat.

It's not actually. If you see the ski and inspect it you will see that to be the case.

I wonder what the experts have to say.

Experts designed it, so they're more than happy with their work.

[/quote]
What is the drawback of having such a flat bottom and sharp angles? I looks :-\ like it is very stable but slow in the chop as those angles resist the roll.
[/quote]

On the contrary, this ski takes off in the chop, is exceptionally easy to paddle. If you ever get a chance to paddle it you will get to appreciate how well it deals with choppy water. Reaction here has been fantastic.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1676 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Legend
Could someone explain the term "chines" please?

More
16 years 2 months ago #1677 by Ritchie Cunningham
Replied by Ritchie Cunningham on topic Re: Legend
Looks like a skiff. I would think that secondary stability would be determined by the topside profile, not the hull bottom, which appears to have a V shape to some degree. A couple of minor points. It might be the photography, but the rudder does not look like a proper foil. The other would be the footstraps. This is mostly a personal preference thing on my part, but I like a one piece padded velcro adjustable strap, so that the feet can be strapped in tight. This ski needs to be downhill reviewed by a paddler experienced with the two benchmarks--the V10 and M6.

I'm going to keep an open mind as I am currently in the market for a new ski, although I'll have to say that I am most highly impressed at this point with the direction that the Surf70 Pro has taken.

Things are definitely heating up, as I recall Greg Barton mentioning in Dubai having some new designs, either on the table or in at least in mind. I love an arms race.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1678 by onnopaddle
Replied by onnopaddle on topic Re: Legend
Thanks Stewart for sending ...

Hey, maybe two more for everyone here.

One each from the bow and stern shot @ a super low angle so we can see this curve you are talking about.

aloha,
pog

More
16 years 2 months ago #1679 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Legend

footstraps. This is mostly a personal preference thing on my part, but I like a one piece padded velcro adjustable strap, so that the feet can be strapped in tight.

The straps are adjustable, so can be made as tight or lose as you like.

I also have in stock, velcro straps for our kayak range, and they fit on nicely, so you can have it either way.

This ski needs to be downhill reviewed by a paddler experienced with the two benchmarks--the V10 and M6.

Do you mind if I don't let someone take my ski downhill!!! ;)

Only joking.

Willy, who posted earlier, has moved from an XLR8, so his thoughts are more than valid I would say. In that paddle downwind, he knocked out 14kms in 56 mins, after paddling 12 kms across a bay to get out through the heads chase the runs north.

I know he tried all of the skis you mentioned, Ritchie.

I think though, that rather than make direct comparisons between skis, people should get out there and try everything that's available, and whatever feels right for them, then go for that ski. Of course I'm going to be biased towards Think Kayaks, the same way the designers and manufacturers of other craft are going to tell you what they do is best. But if this continual search for improvement in hull designs keeps everyone on their toes and thinking of how to do things better, well than you guys who are out there doing the paddling can only benefit. There have been some exciting designs of late, and the guys who have done the hard work coming up with them should be applauded.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1680 by DarylRemmler
Replied by DarylRemmler on topic Re: Legend
Hello All,

Alain, it looks flat, but for example, a V10 is flatter. Per your comment, "looks slow", Ouch! Not slow, thank you.

Richard, secondary stabilty is achieved when the hull rolls and stability is provided before you fall in. Of course if you do fall in, this is a very stable position.

Gary, a chine refers to a relatively hard edge on a boat hull.

As all of you know, at this level it's about the engine, not the boat. See Greg Barton win the Blackburn Challenge in a fast touring boat. Great engine. Our goal with the Legend was to create a competitive boat that optimized the engine (you) for surfski racing. That means providing competitive speed WITH comfort AND stability for open ocean racing. This goal has been acheived.

While our use of chines on a surfski is new, the use of chines in paddlesports is not. This design feature has been used for centuries, and their characteristics are well known. Of course our take on how to use the chines is a little different, as it should be. This is how performance is pushed forward.

Best regards,

Daryl Remmler
Think Kayak Inc.

Latest Forum Topics