Re: Legend

More
16 years 2 months ago #1681 by owenfromwales
Re: Legend was created by owenfromwales
Didn`t Hayden in Australia incorporate mini-chines to the tail end of their ILS Spec skis a year or two ago?
Great to see more ski shapes and debate going on - keep it up guys!
Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1682 by Ritchie Cunningham
Replied by Ritchie Cunningham on topic Re: Legend
Daryl,
I think it is about the boat, especially at the non-elite level where the way a boat handles can have a significant effect on a paddlers performance. I hope to get a chance to try one out.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 2 months ago #1683 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: Legend
Sorry Daryl about the 'looks slow' comment. The full context is 'looks slow in the chop'. But I stand corrected that it is not the case. We look forward to getting some comments from paddlers or even getting the Legend reviewed. Any chance of getting one to Hawaii for the Molokai? Rob will be there.

Well done on the new design, with any different looking design there is bound to be speculation and opinions flying around.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1684 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Legend

Daryl,
I think it is about the boat, especially at the non-elite level where the way a boat handles can have a significant effect on a paddlers performance. I hope to get a chance to try one out.

I would disagree with that Richie, particularly at non-elite level.

There are so many skis that cater for paddlers who are not racing at elite level, that allow you to get out on the water and develop your skis before progressing to faster, more unstable skis. In the Think range, this is covered by the Evo which is a fantastic ski for chasing runs, but is really comfortable and stable. The Legend is a step up in performance from the Evo, and once you have the skills required to master a ski like the Evo, then the Legend is there waiting to be tried.

The focus of The Think range is to provide skis that allow the paddler (the engine) to perform at his best. By providing a stable platform the paddler is focussed on getting the most out of each stroke, rather than balancing and trying to not fall in.

I think it's important for paddlers to know what level they are at, and that paddling the fastest ski isn't often the best way for them to go fast. Often when a paddler uses "slower" model skis they will perform better as the engine is more in tune with the chassis.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1685 by DarylRemmler
Replied by DarylRemmler on topic Re: Legend
Hi Ritchie,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been travelling.

I agree with both your statement and Stewart's. At the non-elite level, it is more about the boat, because the boat needs to provide a platform that really does create confidence. This is where the Evo falls, yet it is still a very competitive design.

At the elite level, I believe it's mostly about the engine, as the boats all have roughly the same maximum velocity on flat water, and this has been the case for 15 years. I know, as I have pretty much owned them all. What has changed is that the boats have gotten progessively easier to paddle, without sacrificing speed.

I feel the Legend is the next step. It offers both greater secondary stability (in the elite boat class), and better downwind performance, than the current standard.

Best regards,

Daryl

More
16 years 1 month ago #1686 by Stew
The Legend had it's first race in Australia yesterday at the Bridge to Manly race. 2 Legends used in the race, both finishing in the top 20.

Tommy Woodriff came in 5th and William Hardman 19th. Considering how flat the conditions were we're really happy. Next weekend's race should have heaps of chop and runs, which the Legend just loves. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1687 by Stew
A few very rushed shots from the Bridge to Beach last weekend. Tommy and Willy on their Legends.

I've also got some of Jeremy and Caine which I'll send to Rob now to post up if he like them.

Attachments:

More
16 years 1 month ago #1688 by DarylRemmler
Replied by DarylRemmler on topic Re: Legend
I'm hoping that Will, the Australian customer who has had a Legend for a month now, will be getting a review into surfski.info in the next few days.

Thanks,

Daryl

Latest Forum Topics