Evo Feedback

More
16 years 1 week ago #2060 by John Sanderson
Evo Feedback was created by John Sanderson
Hi there

I'm looking at buying an Evo and would value any comments relating to its performance relative to other skis.

Performance includes speed, tracking, turning, ease of remounting, how it performs given various sea/wind conditions etc. It would also help if you could include your experiance, weight and height.

Of particular interest would be performance verses Fenn XT and Epic V10 Sport.

Stewart at Quantum Kayaks in Australia, I'm in New Zealand, has been a great help with pricing etc so my relative isolation, at this stage, doesn't seen to be an issue.

Cheers
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #2061 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Evo Feedback
Hi John

I assume you've seen our review?

www.surfski.info/content/view/485/156/

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 1 week ago #2062 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re: Evo Feedback
Hi Rob

Yes I did and it's what started me down the Evo track.

I'd really love to hear from Evo users about their experiences.

Cheers
John

PS Fantastic web site Rob

• Franklin
  • Visitor
16 years 1 week ago #2063 by Franklin
Replied by Franklin on topic Re: Evo Feedback
Hi John from sunny Florida (USA)
I currently own a Think Evo in Kevlar (top model) and an Epic Value Sport (base model). I have also owned a Fenn XT in fiberglass.
Below are my opinions. Use them or dismiss them as you see best.
I am an average paddler and like the bumps. I am ambitous but have looked at the backs of some fast paddlers (not that much fun).
The Evo's fit and finish is flawless. My Sport has multiple flaws. The seating position of the Evo is VERY comfortable. The seat is above my feet. The seat is snug but not too much so. The Sport feels like the seat is lower than my feet. I have not heard others complain about this so it could just be me. The seat is also too wide even for me. The width of the Sports pedals also pinch my size 12 EEE (big wide) feet. The ventura on the Evo keeps the footwell dry all the time. The Sport always has at least an inch plus of water in the footwell (this could be me as I weigh 225 and my exercise pace is 6.5 mph. A lighter faster paddler may have a different viewpoint). There is less space between the foot brace of the Evo and forward bulkhead than in the Sport (less water to carry around if you fill up the footwell). Of course at 5'10", I am not that tall and a really tall guy may appreciate the Sport's extra room forward. The rails on the Evo are higher than the Sport's (drier ride). Both boats rails are about the same heighth at the seat. I also love the tether that my Evo has between my legs. It is a great place to put and secure my water bladder.
The Evo is faster on flat water. The Sport picks up waves better. I also think the Sport is less likely to broach (it's rudder is more forward). Both are a lot of fun in the bumps! It is a coin toss on stability. If the Sport had a narrower seat it may be a little more stable. The secondary on the Sport is about as good as my sea kayak's.
I sold my my XT. With me in it, it was not that much faster than my performance sea kayak. I felt like I sunk the XT. I sold it to a guy who weighed about 175 pounds. He was fast in that boat. The fit and finish and price were great. It was a little heavier than my Value Sport.
I currently paddle with two guys. One owns an Ultra Sport. The other owns a figerglass XT. The guy in the XT is new. He is pretty fast but not quite up to me in the Evo or my buddy in his Sport. To soon to know if it's him or the boat. My opinion is that the XT is not as fast as the other two. My buddy in the Sport is as fast as me BUT with me in the Evo...I am always a head. That makes me very happy (if you can't be good, buy faster).
Of the three above, the Evo is my favorite boat and I love it!
I do not have the talent to paddle the "Big Boy Boat" (Mako 6, V10, Legend, etc.) in the bumps and go as fast and have great fun so I stick to the intermediate boats...which I love.
I have a buddy who owns a Mako 6. He thinks the Evo splits the difference between his boat and the Sport.
I hope this has been helpful!
Good luck
Franklin

More
16 years 1 week ago #2064 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re: Evo Feedback
Hi Franklin

Thats great feedback thanks so much. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Cheers from NZ
John

Latest Forum Topics