Offshore Tide Race Surfing

More
5 months 1 week ago #40714 by David Grainger
Surfing Latimer Reef off Stonington, CT, USA. I'm in (and out of) the blue boat - Nelo 550. The other paddler is Nick Schade from Groton, CT (guillemot-kayaks.com) He designed and built the wooden boat he's using. This was last Sunday 11/19/23.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 days ago #40715 by zachhandler
Looks like a cool place to paddle. Bet the water was cold!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 months 1 day ago #40716 by Epicpaddler
Nice.
Looks cold. How do you like paddling with pogies? I bought a pair to try this winter.

More
5 months 1 day ago #40718 by David Grainger
I use Snap Dragon with Hypalon finish. They don't absorb water so no evaporational cooling :~). Also essential is they have a wide wrist opening so easier to get hands in and out. For more moderate weather I have a pair made by Braca Sport - very light and minimal to keep the wind off.

More
5 months 1 hour ago #40719 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Offshore Tide Race Surfing

Nice.
Looks cold. How do you like paddling with pogies? I bought a pair to try this winter.
I paddle with them throughout winter. Mine are the silver-lined nylon type.

Wide openings, so easy to get hand into them (apart from when very windy).

I find they encourage a loose grip, since there is less of a feeling that the paddle could be blown out of your hands.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #40720 by Bearded
Replied by Bearded on topic Offshore Tide Race Surfing
Hell of a surfing spot you've found, looks like it's active like that often as well! Jealous..

Latest Forum Topics