Get Ready to Rage, SoCal

1 month 5 days ago #35795 by MCImes
The seas will be angry this weekend.
Looks like some epic conditions forecast. I'll be out Saturday afternoon if any locals want to join. Probably paddling out of the Ventura harbor as I dont want to navigate massive surf, but am possibly open to a Mondo's or Goleta downwind if the wind forecast holds and we can find a protected outlet. Small craft advisory all weekend, needless to say. 

San Francisco has up to 14ft @ 19 second swell predicted! thats some seriously long period! 
Maverick's is expected to have 23' @14 second shorebreak. 

I'm ready to Rage! 

From NOAA - 
FRI N winds 10 to 15 kt, becoming NW 10 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt by the afternoon. Combined seas 11 to 13 ft  dominant period 16 seconds.

SAT NW winds 10 to 20 kt, becoming 20 to 30 kt by the afternoon. Combined seas 11 to 14 ft dominant period 16 seconds. (Maybe a Mondos DW?)

SUN N winds 10 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Combined seas 9 to 12 ft. (maybe a Mondo's DW?)

Currently - Swordfish S in Southern California's ocean waters
Past Boats: Epic V10 g0, Stellar SR g1, Fenn XT g1
"When you've done something right, they wont know you've done anything at all"
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 days ago #35801 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Get Ready to Rage, SoCal
Pretty rough confused seas out there today with 15c water temp. Good wind angle though. Mondos run will be a bit of a challenge due to confused sea state. Be careful and have fun out there Marcus.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-report/ventura-point-overview/59c1970dbb6f23001cd20dd7

1 month 3 days ago #35802 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Get Ready to Rage, SoCal
Mother nature did not disappoint today. 8' @ 14 seconds swell, 20+kt wind, 1 to 1.5' wind wave, steep, open water breaking waves... it was Rowdy! Buoy data from the closest one attached, though closer to shore I bet the wind was closer to 20 with occasional bursts near 30. 6' / double overhead waves were the smallest, with some triple overhead+ standouts. the WNW + WSW swell combo made it slightly interesting, but overall it wasn't the worst I've seen. the swell was so big it flattened out the wind waves so between the giants it was rather smooth. That said, I had multiple breaking waves break on me. The top 1-2' was often  crumbling and I took a couple right in the upper chest or head. It was basically like paddling through 2'+ surf, but 1/2 mile off shore. Rowdy.

although most of the swell was too fast to catch, when the WSW smaller swell boosted me on to the 8' WNW primary it was sublime. I was screaming down the face of one of the biggest sets of the night and I was going so fast that I started skipping over the smaller bumps (the 1' wind waves) and started crashing through and over them to the point I thought is it possible to get bucked off a ski? I dont know if I can trust the reading fully, but the GPS said 19mph for that run. Felt close to that at least.

Separately, I have to say this is the biggest (though not the messiest) conditions ive taken the swordfish out in. Man do I love this boat. the secondary just keeps coming. No bow slap. reliable to the point that I kicked my feet over the side and just quietly watched the sun set in the middle of it all. If I could only have 1 boat (which I do), its the SF-S all day. The speed to stability ratio + its handling with a DK rudder + its wave magnet design is about as good as it gets IMO.

Hopefully we get some more days like this!

Currently - Swordfish S in Southern California's ocean waters
Past Boats: Epic V10 g0, Stellar SR g1, Fenn XT g1
"When you've done something right, they wont know you've done anything at all"
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics

Epic V8 Pro vs. Think Zen (10 Posts)

20 hours 21 minutes ago

Surfski Bucket Padding (1 Posts)

22 hours 21 minutes ago

Epic v10 sport volume (4 Posts)

2 days 5 hours ago
Protected by R Antispam