New Nelo Bailer

More
1 year 5 months ago #40181 by M.v.E.
New Nelo Bailer was created by M.v.E.
I noticed that Nelo introduced a new bailer for their surfskis this year. I have to replace the bailer on my Nelo 550 due to a defect. I wasn´t so happy with my De Brito Bailer so I am considering the new one. Has anyone tried the new bailer yet and can make comments regarding the performance.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #40286 by MMaister
Replied by MMaister on topic New Nelo Bailer
I have bought the new bailer from Nelo to replace the de Brito in my 550. It seems like a solid piece and I like its concept but I have not gained the strength to cut out the old bailer yet, as it is a hell of a job. :)

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #40287 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic New Nelo Bailer
Hi
This video from Nelo may help:

Chris
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ccchappell.

More
1 year 2 months ago #40290 by MMaister
Thank you, it is very informative. Wish there was one about how to remove the old one :)

More
1 year 2 months ago #40291 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic New Nelo Bailer
Hi, yes agree would be great on one removing. I asked Nelo, and they said basically carefully cut it out. Dave Grainger had posted on here in another thread that he removed one and it was pretty tedious, but he was able to get it out cutting in little chunks. Yeah, I have a couple new bailers as well I am thinking of installing but haven't ventured down that path yet :)

More
1 year 2 months ago #40292 by TomVW
Replied by TomVW on topic New Nelo Bailer
I don't have any tip on the installation of the new bailer.
However, I did swap my gen1 Nelo 550 with a new gen2 model with the newer de Brito bailer and I'll say that the old bailer, while leaky after a few years did empty the bucket faster on the old 550 than the new one.

The new system to "lock" the bailer to only open until the first position is nice. But on my 550 G2, does not drain the bucket completely at 10km/h on flat water. On the old 550, it drained much faster, with a satisfying gurgling sound.
Now, I am not sure if it is only due to the bailer: the new 550 has a different hull profile with deeper set cockpit. That could very well have consequences on the bailer if it, too, is deeper underwater than before.

So, apart from the new 2-position system and the possibility of less leaking due to a new gasket, I do not believe the new de Brito bailer actually performs any better than the old one...

More
1 year 2 months ago #40296 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic New Nelo Bailer
My issue with the De Brito Bailer was that it was leaking after a while which I found a bit annoying when I was paddling on flat water in the winter time. However this topic was extensively covered on this forum last year. I was hoping that the new Nelo Bailer would perform better in this regard. Since my initial post I talked to two paddlers who have had experience witth the Nelo Bailer and they told me that the new bailer is also leaking quite a bit. So I guess it makes no sense for me to upgrade to the new one. Apart from the leaking issue I found the performance of the De Brito very good.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
1 year 2 months ago #40297 by MMaister
What I don`t like about the deBrito is that it is hard to set it into half open position. The new Nelo design seems to solve this issue much better, although its half open opening seems to be much less than on the deBrito.
Anyway I don`t feel the urge the cut out the old, working bailer just now.

For information, this is the new Nelo Bailer explained by Oscar:

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #40622 by David Grainger
I gotta say, I'm not going to be hammering on my ski with a chisel and rubber hammer!