× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

do you touch the hump?

More
1 year 9 months ago #40025 by gin_n_teutonic
Hey all-
Been paddling a ski for 8 months now, and I'm hooked. I think I'm getting fairly proficient at the forward stroke with a wing paddle, but I have a general leg drive technique question: do you touch the hump? There are a lot of leg drive videos out there, but they don't really address it.
I watched Chalupsky's recent paddling technique video on youtube, and he says the back of your knee should always touch the hump during leg drive. But I've also watched some of Hayley Nixon's videos and she seems to suggest you don't touch the hump... maybe as a beginner to keep your legs lower, but not as much as you become more proficient.
I get it that less bend in the legs may increase stability, vs higher bend in the knees. And that humps are different in different makes. I have Nelo 510 which seems to have a relatively low hump. When I position the footboard far enough forward that I touch the hump, I do feel a little more stable. Though I seem to feel more hip rotation when I pull the foot board back one click. And then I don't touch the hump.
Thoughts?
Advice?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #40033 by [email protected]
I think the focus should be on rotation and not the hump - if you're feeling a more comfortable rotation with the footplate one notch closer to you, that's your answer.

Touching the hump is a byproduct, not a requirement.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
1 year 9 months ago #40035 by tve
Replied by tve on topic do you touch the hump?
The 510 has almost no hump, your legs will be almost fully extended if you touch it. They can even over-extend... That's generally not good. In my experience, it's easier to get into the bad habit of pushing yourself into the back of the seat if your legs are very low. That's wasted effort and ends up hurting. But foremost I would recommend to keep experimenting regularly as you progress, try a notch forward and a notch back every month to feel the difference. Adjust as it improves your rotation as Rob says. It will change as you progress!

More
1 year 9 months ago #40036 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic do you touch the hump?
When I had an Evo II I was touching the hump a lot and didn't like it. Felt like it was messing up my rotation and transferred unwanted upset to that fairly tippy boat. I am in a Nelo 520 now and it feels leaps and bounds better not having as much contact.
In my humble opinion you shouldn't derive stability from contact with hull. Concentrating on the pressure your bum transfers to the center of the bucket works for me. It seems to promote good slightly forward posture, centered upper body and I feel more stable and in control, to the point I can control the boat direction by varying the pressure side to side a bit. Kinda like edging in a sea kayak only way more subtle.
And of course any dragging of the paddle too far back messes up everything including stability.

More
1 year 9 months ago #40037 by SpaceSputnik
When I had an Evo II I was touching the hump a lot and didn't like it. Felt like it was messing up my rotation and transferred unwanted upset to that fairly tippy boat. I am in a Nelo 520 now and it feels leaps and bounds better not having as much contact.
In my humble opinion you shouldn't derive stability from contact with hull. Concentrating on the pressure your bum transfers to the center of the bucket works for me. It seems to promote good slightly forward posture, centered upper body and I feel more stable and in control, to the point I can control the boat direction by varying the pressure side to side a bit. Kinda like edging in a sea kayak only way more subtle.
And of course any dragging of the paddle too far back messes up everything including stability.

More
1 year 9 months ago #40038 by SpaceSputnik

More
1 year 9 months ago #40043 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic do you touch the hump?
I touch the hump, and even fully extend leg in the k1, regardless of it not always mechanically the ideal. The reason is that way I know I am rotating equally on both sides. I think this is an important guide when you are developing your technique. When you are an expert in your technique then its not an issue.

More
1 year 9 months ago #40044 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic do you touch the hump?
I touch the hump, and even fully extend leg in the k1, regardless of it not always mechanically the ideal. The reason is that way I know I am rotating equally on both sides. I think this is an important guide when you are developing your technique. When you are an expert in your technique then its not an issue.

Latest Forum Topics