Re: Epic V10 Sport vs Fenn XT vs Think Evo

More
16 years 5 months ago #1129 by DaveC
Ted

That Think EVO sounds like it's the go! I like the Sport Ultra but I don't think it's any more stable than a Red 7 Surf 70 that I paddle as well. If fact the Red 7 surfs better than the shorter Sport. The problems with the Surf 70 are its weight, 19kg dripping wet, and its barge like turning circle around bouys! We are supposedly getting some lighter Red 7s coming to NZ that are designed for the lighter conditions we have on our East coast rather than St Africa. Rule 1 is to get a stable ski first. Cheers Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1130 by superted
Had another go on a V10 Sport during the week, whilst I would've been happy with a V10 sport, the Think Evo had left a very good impression from the previous test drive.

End result bought a yellow tip (<12kg) Think Evo today from QuantumKayaks in Sydney. :)

Over the previous weeks I never actually got to have a go on a Fenn XT, but from the feedback it disappeared from the equation.

Thanks very much to the forum members, and various owners that reponded to my email questions on the different ski's.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1131 by Beanboy
Ted,

Dusting off this thread since I'm getting close to being in the same position as you were last fall in terms of looking for a beginner surfski. I've spent a few hours on the V10 Sport on flatwater, and will try and get out for a little while on a Think EVO in similar conditions.

The place has a used V10 Sport for sale, which may complicate things since it is $1000 less than a new EVO.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1132 by superted
If its in good condition then definately consider the 2nd hand Sport, just get the hip pads :).

All skis will have some feature thats better then other brand and vice versa but it boils down to the variables of what you like and suits you and the conditions you paddle in.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1133 by MFB

Ted

That Think EVO sounds like it's the go! I like the Sport Ultra but I don't think it's any more stable than a Red 7 Surf 70 that I paddle as well. If fact the Red 7 surfs better than the shorter Sport. The problems with the Surf 70 are its weight, 19kg dripping wet, and its barge like turning circle around bouys! We are supposedly getting some lighter Red 7s coming to NZ that are designed for the lighter conditions we have on our East coast rather than St Africa. Rule 1 is to get a stable ski first. Cheers Dave

Hi,

Just to remind you that think kayaks (evo and Legend) both use spectra for their rudder lines. Adjustment might not be as easy compared to Fenn.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1134 by superted
The spectra'd EVO was easy to adjust, so is the V10 Sport. IMHO The Fenn system has been hit with the ugly stick and looks so last century ::)

More
15 years 10 months ago #1135 by Stew

Ted

Hi,

Just to remind you that think kayaks (evo and Legend) both use spectra for their rudder lines. Adjustment might not be as easy compared to Fenn.

On the contrary, adjustment is very easy and also allows for micro adjustments so you can get your lengths just right.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1136 by MFB
How do you get the micro adjustments done? I was previously told that it was a square knot at the yoke. What about over at the pedals?

Fenn uses the s/s cable with the allen key upfront. No stretching, no knots. Im not a knot type of guy so it suits me fine.

Latest Forum Topics