Re: paddle size

More
15 years 10 months ago #1329 by Hiro
Re: paddle size was created by Hiro
I used an aluminium tube and epiglue. It adds weight to the paddle but that's OK. It is now adjustable (lenght and angle) and is much easier to travel with...
picasaweb.google.com/Hiro.Colombani/Surf...#5208223376776331298

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1330 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re: paddle size
For other ideas check Turbo paddles at www.cyberus.ca/~turbo/

Aluminum is great but better be anodized and tempered [harder grade]. Some of the paddle makers have the right stuff and may sell to you. Simon River Sports is one, but in Canada. As an adhesive I used hot melt glue- not the hobby shop stuff, but industrial grade. Counter top fabricators use it for repairs. It is easily taken apart for changes and traveling. A hair dryer provides the heat. If you are really fussy you can put waterproof heat shrink -I used 3M- at the joints. It is stocked at electrical suppliers.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1331 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re: paddle size

I used an aluminium tube and epiglue. It adds weight to the paddle but that's OK. It is now adjustable (lenght and angle) and is much easier to travel with.

Any idea if or where the clamps are sold in Australia?

More
15 years 10 months ago #1332 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: paddle size
Lettman do good split shafts, not sure if they can be retro fitted.

www.lettmann.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/23_60

They used to sell an aluminum piece on their own, I used one myself a few years ago.

Most of the spliters I have seen as an after market option haven't been on the best quality in reality.

I'm a big fan of the options from Braca and Kajner. They work well and are reliable if you maintain them, never had a problem with either.

Gut make a really nice assembly, only thing is it isn't water tight, so needs to be opened every time you use it.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1333 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: paddle size
And watch this space, someone might have a new system available very very soon. ;)

• nell
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1334 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: paddle size
You don't need much of a formal "system" really. You only need to find a carbon ferrule that will fit snugly inside the shaft on one side. Epoxy that in place. Then on the other shaft - which is now the female part, put 4 cuts lengthwise with a saw, and secure it all with a SS hoseclamp.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1335 by MFB
Im choosing between a fenn IV (similar to Bracsa IV) and a fenn I (lettman 1). Which is ideal for surf ski? Top racers use Fenn IV and its teardrop. Fenn I is parallel,any advice?

• nell
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1336 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: paddle size
The FEnn 1 is a great user friendly shape - developed by Lettman? years ago. Feels nice and smooth in the water whether you're a beginner or expert. The Fenn 4 is a big blade and probably too big for most of us. The Fenn 3 is kind of like the 4, only a bit smaller. I think Dean Gardiner used the 3 for this years Molokai and I know a few others that like the 3, too. I've tried the 3 a couple of times and it was a nice neutral feeling blade. For the ski, you want to use as small a blade size as you can get away with - in my opinion.