Garmin 310 XT heart rate monitor

More
11 years 4 months ago #14861 by richardh
Hi Guys.

Has anyone had an issue with the Garmin (310 XT) heart rate monitor.

Mine appears to be working, but I am a tad concerned that my max heart rate gets high.

I am a few years off 50 and on my last ocean session, three of my splits had my max heart rate at 188 bpm.

If the hardware is OK, should I be worried?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14862 by Physio
I have had occasionally outrageous high hr in my 310xt usually early on in the data. I just ignore them
HR are personal 188 isn't out of range for a 50 yr old.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14863 by richardh
Thanks Physio.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14865 by Kayaker Greg
Physio is right, I'm 50 and my max is 187bpm. Only you will know if you were really pushing hard enough to get to max however, as sometimes the Garmin can give some out there readings.
What I learn't also is that you should wash your strap in a little mild soap and water every 7 uses. I didn't know this and started to get strange readings all over the place. Even though my strap was rinsed in fresh water after every paddle, salt builds up within the strap and causes inaccurate readings according to the manual.
Washing the strap in some mild soap and water returned the readings back to normal, and I had actually cut a couple of paddles short because I was worried about what my heart was doing :laugh:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14866 by Stew
Mine died two weeks ago. True to form, Garmin have replaced it under warranty. While the units can be a bit fragile, they back their product. Nice guys to deal with at the warehouse too.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Stew.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14867 by AR_convert

Stew wrote: Mine died two weeks ago. True to form, Garmin have replaced it under warranty. While the units can be a bit fragile, they back their product. Nice guys to deal with at the warehouse too.

Touch wood haven't had any issues with mine, but what was the process you went through Stew to get back-up?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14868 by sylv1
Hi Guys,
It's possible you did read some hectic cardio frequency when your battery off heart rate belt are to low.
I encounter the same problem few week ago, I 42, in good shape but I read 220P/min at slow pace in my surfski, I a little bit afraid for a few second ( I have heart attack ;) ).
The day before I'm changing the battery of the belt everything come back to normal, 140 p/m at 16km/h...... no it's joke !
Mery Crismath to everybody !
Sylvain

More
11 years 4 months ago #14871 by Watto
Battery issue - what a bummer! Thought I'd reached giddy ultra-fitness heights riding the other day.

Yeah suspected it had to be battery, would need to be pumping around four beats a second for that250 bpm. Bring on the defibrillator.

Which raises the obvious, how do you change the strap battery (I have a 910XT), or is a strap re-purchase? I've had the watch for six to eight months use two or three times a week, separate watch and strap for most part.
Attachments:

More
11 years 4 months ago #14872 by Watto
Battery issue - what a bummer! Thought I'd reached giddy ultra-fitness heights riding the other day.

Yeah suspected it had to be battery, would need to be pumping around four beats a second for that250 bpm. Bring on the defibrillator.

Which raises the obvious, how do you change the strap battery (I have a 910XT), or is a strap re-purchase? I've had the watch for six to eight months use two or three times a week, separate watch and strap for most part.
Attachments:

More
11 years 4 months ago #14873 by Watto
Two posts would be impatient old man hitting submit button repeatedly because action wasn't instant.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14874 by Kayaker Greg
Don't know about the 910 but the 310xt is easy to change the battery in the strap sending unit, just need a small philips head driver. However I would try washing your strap first as I replaced the battery in mine only to find it was the salt build up in the strap that was causing the issue. Run it under fresh water and rub a little soap into the strap and rinse.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Kayaker Greg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
11 years 4 months ago #14877 by richardh

Kayaker Greg wrote: Physio is right, I'm 50 and my max is 187bpm. Only you will know if you were really pushing hard enough to get to max ...:

I was pushing hard, I find I work a lot harder chasing runs than I do heading into the wind!

I've pushed too hard in the river and suffered the consequences!

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14878 by richardh
This my speed and heart rate and you can see the correlation of a (slow) down wind and high heart rate while paddling loops!

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by richardh.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14879 by swimskier
I had issues with erratic HR data with the soft strap (so-called Premium strap) that came with the 910XT. New battery did not fix the problem. I went back to the older (stiff) version and haven't had any problems since.

The abnormally high Hr may also be related to arrythmia (atriovenrticular or supraventricular tachycardia), which should be adressed seriously. In MTB/XC-skiing races I sometimes had such episodes (of several minutes) and immeadiately felt that the muscles were not getting enough oxygen. I went though a series of exams by cardiologist and was given all clear to continue the usual activies.

There is a nice blog about athlete's heart related stuff:
athletesheart.blogspot.com/

Nelo 560 SCS, Nelo Cinco E XXL, Epic V8 Ultra,

Previous skis: Epic V14 Elite, Fenn Elite Glide Carbon, Epic V10 Ultra G2, EPIC V10L Elite G1,
Previous K1s: Nelo Cinco SCS XXXL, Vajda Infusion 2 XL Elite, Epic Legacy XXL Marathon,Elio Sprint-P Marathon
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by swimskier.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14880 by Kayaker Greg
Looks like you have nothing to worry about Richard.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14884 by richardh
Thanks Greg

• socal_surfski
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14897 by socal_surfski
Replied by socal_surfski on topic Re: Garmin 310 XT heart rate monitor
Thanks for the blog link. Informative and science based into...perfect!

• hudE
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14899 by hudE
Replied by hudE on topic Re: Garmin 310 XT heart rate monitor
so whats constitutes an abnormally high heartrate?
48 yeras old and trail run, paddle & cycle.

Have tapped out at 210bpm while running up hill. slowly ascending max (from 190 when i got monitor 18months ago) as weight decreases. is the unusual? paddling never tops out above 165 unless big seas and end up in water kind of freaking. obvoiusly 250 is outrageous

More
11 years 4 months ago #14900 by Dicko
Now I'm no expert, but your maximum HR is your max HR. It's not something you can improve on. So as a guide, they say Your Max HR should be around 220 beats per minute minus your age. So in your case hudE, around 172. Now this is a VERY general guide and there are significant variations. If your HR is going up around 210, I suggest you check your HR monitor cos it aint working right, or chat to your GP.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14901 by Physio
Agree with dicko, I don't personally agree with the theoretical Max's as way too generalised, but if people getting 210 220 bpm then worth doing some research

over here we get a lot of 220, 230 errors as that is the frequency of our power lines,