Flow Paddles

More
11 years 2 months ago #15601 by apey75
Flow Paddles was created by apey75
Hi,

Anyone here using split shaft Flow Kayaks brand Paddles from New Zealand?

I am interested in any experiences regarding reliability, re-sale value and suitability for a novice (looking at the MS2).

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15602 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: Flow Paddles
Resale: they havn't been around long enough to buid up a market. But like everything that comes from andrew martin they will be well made,

"The same shape and angles as the MS3 but 4% smaller all over.
The MS 2 is a great size for longer distances and for smaller paddlers.
The MS2 has all the same attributes as it’s bigger sibling but with a little less area is much easier to keep on top of.

Dimensions:
Length 472mm Width 155mm
Weight 700grams fixed shaft*770grams split shaft*"
From their website, dimensions should be fine for novice until you get good enough to know what you like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: apey75

More
11 years 2 months ago #15610 by apey75
Replied by apey75 on topic Re: Flow Paddles
Thanks for the feedback buddy - much appreciated!

• bluefox_13
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #15613 by bluefox_13
Replied by bluefox_13 on topic Re: Flow Paddles
Hi Apey,
I've been paddling an MS2 for just over a year now and cant fault it to be honest. I've got a split shaft and love the flow locking mechanism (similar to the epic one but throws 90 degree opposite)....

I'm built like a racing sardine and dont have the strength to push a big set of blades for any decent length. Previous to this I paddled a Legend Hydra, which is considered a small teardrop shaped blade. Loved these blades, and once you got used to them being a bit twitchy if you go lazy with your stroke it was brilliant for me.

The flow MS2 is a much more predictable blade, the entry and exit of the blade feels cleaner and easier, and you can be a lot more relaxed/lazy with your stroke without getting caught out and having the blade dive under the hull, like my hydra could do. Its definetly a little bit bigger blade than the hydra and I found myself setting the split shaft 2cm shorter than what i used to paddle to still get the same faster cadence that I prefer to paddle at.

Im really hard on gear, Im not going out to mollycoddle things when Im training or racing and so far the MS2 hasnt shown any signs of problems, so must be pretty reliable.....

Resale is a little hard to know, they are pretty common here in the local paddling community as they are made locally. But might be a bit different elsewhere where they are new to the market.

There is an MS1 now floating around so Im trying to get hold of it off Rich to give that a test paddle at some stage too....

Hope that helps....

More
11 years 2 months ago #15614 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: Flow Paddles
the ms1 demo is down here chch,
i paddled it yesterday in the harbour, and felt a bit small for my liking, not a good solid catch and fluttered a bit, prob my poor technique. and that was after paddling with my endorfin which i find very predictable.
the ms1 was unbelievably light though

More
11 years 2 months ago #15623 by apey75
Replied by apey75 on topic Re: Flow Paddles
Thanks very much for the responses guys.

I was really impressed with the weight of MS2. I did trial the ultralight version, but still... felt like heaven and earth compared to my current 980g dihedral blade beastie.

Also liked the split shaft setup and the clamp - felt very solid.

Looking forward to hopefully owning an MS2 in the near future.

Cheers.

Latest Forum Topics