Crack on my Epic Wing

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16202 by Joky
Crack on my Epic Wing was created by Joky
Hi,

I jumped into surf ski last month, after 20 years of whitewater and slalom paddling. I bought a used Epic V10 sport ultra and a new Epic Signature Hybrid (small wing).
Unfortunately, on my 6th paddle (and 1st real downwind!) I saw that one blade had a crack :(
Since I'm sure I didn't hit any rock, it seems just as if it didn't handle the pressure I putted while bracing in the pretty big conditions we had in the bay area these days. So I wonder if anybody had a similar issue and if the Signature Hybrid construction is known to be particularly "fragile"?
Indeed I hesitated with the full carbon version but I only considered rigidity and weight, I didn't expect to break it :S

You can see the crack is quite important on these pictures:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16204 by Kayaker Greg
Take it back Jokey, it will be under warranty with only 6 paddles on it. I recently broke the shaft on my Epic small mid hybrid but it was about 4 years old and well out of warranty period.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16205 by Joky
Replied by Joky on topic Re: Crack on my Epic Wing
Yeah I already asked my reseller (CCK Oakland, they're great, BTW) and they'll sent it back to Epic for inspection. I still wonder if the hybrid build is weak "by design" or if I was just unlucky with this one...

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16207 by Kayaker Greg
I've just checked the shaft on my other Epic hybrid and it has two cracks just outside the hand placing, I won't be using that paddle again, I was 15km off shore in the weekend with this paddle, sure glad it didn't break on me then. The hybrid is supposed to be their strongest shaft, I'll be checking my two carbon Epics closely tomorrow.