A question about flexing

More
10 years 9 months ago #17645 by mrwalker
Hi all,
I need some advice please?
I have a pretty old Fenn XT, age unknown, which mostly gets paddled on very flat water. But the other day I was stationery while I waited for my son to catch up on a kayak. There was a small sloppy wind swell rolling in and I could distinctly feel the ski flexing behind me, I think just behind the seat.
A bit disconcerting to say the least. Can someone tell me if this is normal or has some reinforcing come adrift in that area? I absolutely love the old thing, think it goes better than the new XT I had some time back. It's heavier and sits in the water better I reckon. I've even caught a few fish from it.
Really don't want to go out in anything bumpy till I know it won't fold on me!
Cheers, Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17656 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic A question about flexing
Um, that doesn't seem normal at all...

I'd get it checked out asap before it comes apart on you away from shore.

"small sloppy wind swell" should not do that to a ski - these boats of ours are built to withstand big very sloppy wind and ocean swell and reasonably big breaking waves.

Good luck Dave.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17658 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic A question about flexing
I know a guy who crunched his fenn elite in the surf. When he lifted the boat by the tail you could see the flex. He said the foam support behind the seat, that runs across the boat had detached. It had to be repaired reattaching the support or the boat could only be used on the flat.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17659 by mrwalker
Replied by mrwalker on topic A question about flexing
Thanks for those replies fellas, I have been thinking along those lines. Shame I am thousands of miles from my workshop, I will have to round up a few things before I chop into it.
Thanks again, cheers, Dave.

Latest Forum Topics