How anchor a nut in carbon?

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #40605 by zachhandler
I was trying to remove the carry handle on the stern of a carbon/foam/carbon ski and the embedded nut that was anchoring it began to spin. I had to pull it out. I am trying to decide in the best way to repair this. It is an m5 bolt with just a cheap stainless nylock nut used as the anchor. I could just pack the hole with thickened epoxy, then reinsert the bolt with the nut on it, greasing the threads so the bolt is still removable after the epoxy has hardened. But I am worried that it might not be strong enough. I dont want the nut to spin again, or even worse have the whole thing pull out while carrying the ski. Anyone know any tricks for this without getting inside the ski to access the back side? Pictured are the still-functioning anchor on the other end of the handle, the whole that was left when the nut came out, and a side shot of the m5 bolt and nut. Thanks for any suggestions!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by zachhandler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #40606 by LaPerouseBay
A drop in Z nut or T stud will be mechanically sound.

parco-inc.com/product-tag/drop-in-t-nut/

downwind dilettante
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #40609 by kvort
Replied by kvort on topic How anchor a nut in carbon?
Reading the Gougeon book on West System epoxy, bolts can be just set in epoxy. (My 50 foot wing mast on my yacht is held up by 8 bolts glued into epoxy.) Taking this into account I have glued many handles into my and my mates surfskis. Drill the hole slightly oversized. I then insert a small cocktail bamboo umbrella, push it through so it opens up inside and then pull it so it forms a small cup on the inside. Holding the shaft in place with a cloths peg clamped on, I then fill the upside down umbrella through the hole with thickened epoxy glue until it comes out hole. When hardened the next day, carefully drill a hole into the epoxy that your bolt will sit in. Obviously careful not to drill right through. Mix some more epoxy glue and set bolt in. You will never pull it out. Hope this all makes sense. Cheers.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #40610 by benmlee

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #40611 by zachhandler
Thanks for the great ideas guys! Last night I just went ahead and did it. I put in epoxy thickened with west systems 404 and blew into it with my mouth so it would fill into the cracks in the factory installed epoxy lump. Then I greased the threads of the and bolt, scoured the nut with a dremel for better mechanical adhesion, and inserted it. Hopefully will unscrew clean.

Kvort I love the cocktail umbrella method! I was trying to think of ways to achieve the same thing but the umbrella is a ready made perfect solution.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics