Removing sticky residue from gelcoat

More
15 years 11 months ago #2089 by [email protected]
I've found ordinary thinners very effective for removing sticky residue. Doesn't seem to affect gelcoats

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #2090 by Stew
Petrol or acetone, both work really well and I've never had a problem with gel coats.

More
15 years 11 months ago #2091 by Boof Head
I'll second the Eucalypt oil. I plaster the top sheets of my skis (snow) for protection and as a visual deterrent to rack theft. Off they come after a season for better resale.

More
15 years 11 months ago #2092 by onnopaddle
Acetone fine ... if gelcoat is coming off with it ... you have a much bigger problem .. If you have a bulky build up .. duct tape residue for ex., 'saturate' a small area with acetone and lightly lift w/ a utility razor blade to get the bulk stuff off and repeat .. DO NOT lay an acetone soaked rag over gelcoat with hope of making things easier ... be patient and do a little @ a time in different areas.

As strong as it is .. Acetone will not work on tree sap.

Aloha,
pog

More
15 years 11 months ago #2093 by Dale Lippstreu
I only use acetone as a last resort because it does tend to attack pretty much anything. I keep benzine, lacquer thinners and acetone in my workshop and use them in that order i.e. if the benzine does not remover the mark/glue etc, I move up to thinners and then finally acetone. In my experience benzine works pretty well on glue residue and has no effect on a gelcoat or sprayed colour.