Retro install venturi drains??

More
15 years 10 months ago #2211 by cjborg
I have an older model tandem ski with double footwells in both cockpits, carbon/kevlar layup. The boat has no drains, is very low volume, and could really benefit from venturis.

Has anyone installed venturis after market, and if so, where did you find the parts? Huki sells the Venturis that mount to the hull, but what is used for the drain hole itself, what is the best way to cut the holes, how do you make sure they don't leak, anything else to worry about??

-Or should I just start packing my water filtration system and drink that water in the footwells?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2212 by nitrogen boy
THe Huki website has some install tips
www.huki.com/store/index.php?main_page=b...a8a5a23ba767942033c0

good luck

More
15 years 10 months ago #2213 by Hiro
My old surfski already had holes, I can't help you with that.
However I had to installl venturis. I used small pieces of carbon tube, from a paddle shaft cut to lenght before glueing the paddle blade. But i guess PVC tube will do the trick for cheap. You can try the venturis with adhesive tape before you glue them permanently...
Now you just have to find a way to drill holes. Beware, if there is space between the footwell and the hull, you should think twice before drilling holes as the water will flow inside the ski.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2214 by stuartknaggs
OK, here goes. Try pushing the hull in around where the footwells are. If you can deflect the hull, then the footwells are not bonded. If not, then they have probably been stuck to the inside of the hull with a blob of filler.

If there is filler, you are lucky. Just drill a hole about 10mm through the bottom of the footwell and through the hull. Just to check that everything is ok, put your thumb over the hole on the inside of the footwell and suck on the outside. You shouldn't get air leaking through. Go ahead and glue on a bit of paddle shaft as described by the others.

If your footwells are not bonded to the hull, you need some stuff. First drill about a 6mm hole through the footwell, being careful not to go through the hull too. (no big deal if you do, you can always tape it up from the outside.

Get an empty caulking tube, some epoxy and some high strength filler powder. (I use West systems out of habit.) Mix on a lump to about the consistency of peanut butter and put it in the caulking tube. Stick this in your caulking gun and squeeze a few pumps into the hole drilled earlier. It is best to do one side at a time and tilt your ski so that your new lump of filler can sit on the lowest part of the hull and doesn't run away.

After this, carry on as before.

Good luck

More
15 years 10 months ago #2215 by cjborg
Many thanks, fellows. I've also contacted the manufacturer, and it turns out the footwell is a couple of inches above the hull, not bonded. The solution is as Stuart suggested, but with this particular configuration, likely to leak.

I may try the water purifyer...wonder how well it desalinates (?)... could be an innovation in survival endurance surf skiing. :D

More
15 years 10 months ago #2216 by stuartknaggs
Purr make a manual desalinator but word has it that you produce more sweat operating it than it produces fresh water. :(

Latest Forum Topics