Replacement Rudder

• jmeister
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #2217 by jmeister
Replacement Rudder was created by jmeister
Hi - I have a Fenn Mako Millenium and after 2 years of use and abuse the rudder is looking a bit worse for wear. It has been bashed against hidden rocks, ground against shingle and stones, etc. and is now bent. Should I replace it with a standard fibreglass rudder or a carbon fibre rudder? What would the weight difference be and which construction would be tougher and hold up better to impact with rocks, kelp, the beach etc? Also, should I go with the standard rudder from Fenn Kayaks, or is there a better 3rd party option available?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2218 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re: Replacement Rudder
Huki has a great rudder selection and I believe they can make rudders for Mako boats--but they are quite expensive. The downside of Huki rudders is that (in my experience), the leading edge is not perfectly smooth, so you will typically want to spend some time with sandpaper (or a few short minutes with an orbital sander) getting the leading edge to be perfectly smooth.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2219 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Replacement Rudder
Cheap solution is :
- insert the rudder shaft in a tube and push/pull on the rudder, you cant get it straight,
- use some fiberglass cloth to reshape the edge of your rudder.

Latest Forum Topics