Re: Garmin 305 and cadence

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 1 month ago #833 by nell
Re: Garmin 305 and cadence was created by nell
The foot pods don't work that way, i.e. like a pedometer. They have little accelerometers inside them that measure force, so I don't think that they'll register cadence in paddling.

I've been using a Polar HRM with its foot pod, and I assume all foot pods work similarly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #834 by vinnyboy
Replied by vinnyboy on topic Re: Garmin 305 and cadence

Hello Guys, i'm very new to this forum, coming over from flat water oylmpic sprint so i'm learninig a lot!!

to measure your cadence just have a watch beep every min and count your strokes!! its that easy. surely your cadence will change depending on conditions and up wind / down wind so this way you can get a simple measure of progess in each situation.

this is how i would train on flat water head wind tail wind etc, very easy.

Regards

Ian Wynne

Hi,

I'm doing the same thing for maybe 4 years now ... I'm training a lot flat water sprint, and whenever I go paddling, i have my watch (polar) or my garmin 305 beeping each minute. It quickly becomes a habit of counting your strokes, even when not thinking about it. After doing this for a longer period, even when paddling without the beep, you'll be able to estimate your stroke count very precisely...

greetz

More
15 years 10 months ago #835 by Bunyip
Replied by Bunyip on topic Re: Garmin 305 and cadence
Hi there,

I too come from a sprint background (gee there sure is a lot of us).

In the olden days before GPS, we used a device called 'Speedcoach (paddle)' for distance and tempo work. www.nkhome.com/rowing/speedcoachpaddle.html Simular devices are used today for rowing.
A little propeller attached to the underside of the boat and transmitted a signal to the onboard computer to give speed. Earlier 'paddle' models had a sensor which velcroed onto the paddle shaft to give stroke rate. It consisted of a small sealed vial containing a ballbearing which rocked back and forth as the paddle rotated.
The acuracy of the speed was always a concern having to contend with weed around the propeller, tidal movements or incorrect callabration, however, the stroke rate was always precise.
It would be great to have this feature coupled with the garmin series.

More
15 years 10 months ago #836 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Garmin 305 and cadence

Hi,

I'm doing the same thing for maybe 4 years now ... I'm training a lot flat water sprint, and whenever I go paddling, i have my watch (polar) or my garmin 305 beeping each minute. It quickly becomes a habit of counting your strokes, even when not thinking about it. After doing this for a longer period, even when paddling without the beep, you'll be able to estimate your stroke count very precisely...

greetz

[/quote]

Thanks for the idea, I'll try that out. That should make it possible to check the stroke rate when you need to. Currently, I have my 305 set to beep every 15 minutes, reminder to have a sip of water or juice.

Latest Forum Topics