Technique question...why does this happen?

More
15 years 9 months ago #2309 by Janita K
Background to this question is that I have paddled my Hayden Racing Ski on my own mostly for the last 6 yrs...and have had one formal session with a training coach.
So...I paddle hoping that basically my technique is sound....but who knows?
I rely mainly on feeling that humming, smoooooth sensation that kicks in unfortunately about 40 minutes into my training paddle. When that feeling kicks in, I figure my technique is about as good as its ever going to get.
OK....my question is this:
Is slightly scraping the hull edge of the ski on entry with the edge of my blade indicate some technique fault?
I know it cant be a good thing, I concentrate hard to eliminate my paddle ever coming into contact with the ski edge on entry and it seems to happen more on my right side. I think if I concentrate more on a vertical entry, it happens less...but maybe from the point of a professional coach, this is a common technical fault which is easly corrected by....?(over to you dear forum readers).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2311 by tomb
Hi Janita

Scrapping your blade or hitting on the side of your ski or kayak is common you will notice a lot of racers put tape on the side of their boats to protect both boat and blade.

You can get a clear strong tape called Helicopter tape, name comes from the fact they use it on the leading edge of rotor blade on choppers, its clear and you should be able to get it from most fibreglass suppliers. I get it from FKM down here in Sydney.

Cheers
Tom.B

More
15 years 9 months ago #2314 by Janita K
Firstly, I am thrilled to think its common enough that paddlers just tape up their ski and keep training. So can I completely relax and think this is not important enough to correct or that it really isnt an indication of a technical fault?? Just need to know so I can try and fix it...OR ignore it. Thanks in advance and thanks for the info Tom

More
15 years 9 months ago #2320 by Ray
Hello Janita.

I am only an intermediate paddler so take my words with a grain of salt. When I hit the sides of my boat it usually means that I am dropping my top elbow and not entering the catch vertical enough. As I get more fatigued the problem tends to get worse.

I recommend concentrating on a vertical catch and keeping your top elbow just below your chin on the finish of your stroke. If you look at footage of the elite paddlers you will notice that although their top hand may vary between chin and forehead levels, their top elbows are always finishing the stroke just below their chin.

If you can get someone to take pictures of you while you paddle do so. This will show you what to work on. Also if you can get footage of your stroke when you are fatigued (the end of a race or the last 50 yards of a quarter mile sprint) you will find out what your tendencies are and hopefully correct the deficiencies.

Good luck. Ray

Latest Forum Topics