Re: GPS and Heart Rate Monitor for Training and Race

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #265 by [email protected]

I assume your 305 is strapped on your foot strap.

I used to put it on the foot strap, but my Mako6 has bungi (elastic) cords on the front bulkhead on of the cockpit and I put the unit there. V10s have bungi cords there too. If you keep it on your wrist, the speed readings tend to go funny - it measures the speed of your wrist!

NB: having said that the 305 is more robust than the 301, it still requires looking after. I broke one by dropping it onto concrete - the seal broke and it started leaking and eventually died. Rinsing every time you use it is vital.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #266 by STEEL
With regard to the map software on the GARMIN 305 and 301, not very much detail.
How would I go about downloading my track from GPS onto the Google satellite photo's, soemthing similair to some of the tracking shown previously on the website, like Oscar's 2k swim on the North Coast.
Thanks.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #267 by [email protected]
Hi Neal

How would I go about downloading my track from GPS onto the Google satellite photo's,

There are a couple of easy ways: one is to use MotionBased - check out www.motionbased.com - they have a free account option. You download the MotionBased agent which is a piece of software that allows you to connect to your forerunner and to upload directly to your account at Motionbased. Once uploaded, MotionBased has an option that allows you to view your tracks in google.

The second, and arguably easier, way is to use SportTracks. This is free software that acts as a replacement for the Garmin Training Center. SportTracks also has an option that allows you to export your tracks direct to google earth.

You can get sporttracks (free) from

www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

I guess this would form the basis of an article for the site...!

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #268 by MFB

I assume your 305 is strapped on your foot strap.

I used to put it on the foot strap, but my Mako6 has bungi (elastic) cords on the front bulkhead on of the cockpit and I put the unit there.

Can you post a picture of your set up?

• benneta
  • Visitor
17 years 3 weeks ago #269 by benneta
Do you know if this software works for the foretrex 101 as well - If I get the cable do I need to also get the garmin software or will the software you have quoted work?

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #270 by jtresfon
While being fairly expensive, the Garmin Mapsource software with the SA hydrographic charts loaded (Bluechart Atlantic V6.5 or later) is awesome in the level of detail and great for planning new routes.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #271 by AlanC
Replied by AlanC on topic Garmin Mapsource
I use Garmin Mapsource and Blue Charts in the Pacific North West. I find the value to be very worthwhile and I regularly plot training / race routes as well as download and review my race routes.

For race directors, it is great service tool to be able to plot out your race course and then print up / e.mail detailed maps for participants.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #272 by [email protected]

Do you know if this software works for the foretrex 101 as well - If I get the cable do I need to also get the garmin software or will the software you have quoted work?

The Foretrex is on the list of supported devices for SportTracks so I guess it will work. You don't need the Garmin software to use SportTracks.

Rob

Latest Forum Topics