Paddler weight

More
11 years 1 week ago #16366 by Marty
Paddler weight was created by Marty
Can anyone tell me if a glass or hybrid carbonology vault would be suitable for an experienced but small (5'7) &light (57kgs.) paddler in wind driven conditions. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 days ago #16373 by Goldcoastkiwi
Replied by Goldcoastkiwi on topic Re: Paddler weight
Hi Marty

here is a link to a good independent look at the boat.

www.surfski.info/forum/19-boats/5830-car...dpackers-review.html

Just a thought is that with your weight you would perhaps be better off looking into some of the true low volume hulls out there, such as the Stellar SES , or the new Fenn Flash. My wife has been paddling a few such skis lately in her search for a new ski ,and see only weighs a few kilos less than you. The hulls are designed around smaller paddlers, where as you might find that with the larger hulls the boat will be sitting too high in the water, and it will feel tippier and get blown about more.

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid

More
11 years 6 days ago #16374 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: Paddler weight
I paddled one a couple of years ago, at a similar time to Brett. I am the same dimensions as you. I found it maneuverable and it had good secondary stability, quite reassuring. I was more in chop than in surf and the wind was probably about 10-15 knots. It did feel like I could manage it in more weather. The deep bucket felt very snug and secure. The problem with this was I also found it harder to remount than the V10l ( and subsequently the SES and the Swordfish). I also felt sluggish on flat water, borne out by GPS, but that may have been my fault.

I certainly felt that its strength was stability in chop/surf/wind and it sound like that is what you are looking for. Take one for for a paddle. Just make sure you test the remount.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 6 days ago #16376 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Re: Paddler weight
Thanks for your help g/c kiwi & marieski. I'll have an opportunity to try an ses in excel layup in the next couple of weeks.It might be a bit light given what you've said in the past Marie about the trap of too light a boat for an already light paddler (good thoughtful advice which I'll follow) I don't think I'll have a chance to try a vault as I don't know of any here in adelaide but was attracted by the vault because of it's width & short length. I'm on the water 6-7 days a week, most days ( especially in summer) being 15-30knts, causing steep wind driven chop to 1.5 mts. I'm pretty much a neophyte regarding ocean skis as for the last 40 yrs. have been in Hayden & Forcefield spec skis ( fairly tippy at my light weight) Kiwi, you mentioned looking at the fenn flash did you mean carbonology flash or the fenn spark? Please let me know if your wife finds any other low volume boats that really appeal, you've probably got more to choose from up there than down here, thanks again.

More
11 years 6 days ago #16379 by Goldcoastkiwi
Replied by Goldcoastkiwi on topic Re: Paddler weight
Sorry Marty...a senior moment on my part!! Of course is was the Fenn Spark! I paddled it as well , I'm 80 kgs , so at the top of it's weight range and I really enjoyed it, as I did with the SES.

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid

More
11 years 6 days ago #16380 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: Paddler weight
No way could I paddle my SES in 30knots and 1.5 m chop. I could do it in the Vault. The other boat that is particularly good in short chop is the Flow Superstar. Let us know how you get on.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 6 days ago #16382 by Marty
Thanks Kiwi, I'm glad I'm not the only one having senior moments.Given that fenns &epics are by far the most common boat around here I should be able to arrange a paddle with our local dealer. It's good that more manufacturers are building for lightweights as well as the more common weight paddlers.

More
11 years 6 days ago #16383 by Marty
Thanks Marie, I just read your review of the s/star and it sounds like another possibIlity. I think I'm going to have to make time to travel to nsw or qld for a couple of days to try out a greater range of boats. Not much variety that I know of here in adelaide.

More
11 years 6 days ago - 11 years 6 days ago #16387 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Paddler weight

Marty wrote: I think I'm going to have to make time to travel to nsw or qld for a couple of days to try out a greater range of boats. Not much variety that I know of here in adelaide.

No need to go that far Marty. Jarad Kholar at Peak Adventure in Melbourne sells a few brands. "Peak Adventure also sells new kayaks, paddles and accessories from all the leading ocean racing brands including FENN, FINN, EPIC, STELLAR, CARBONOLOGY AND MOCKE" and I believe he has just become the importer for Flow Kayaks. (Flow "Superstar" and "Sharp" ski's) www.flowkayaks.com/site/surf-skis/

If you time your visit well he also runs paddling sessions where you're likely to see a variety of skis (they get quite a big turnout from what I've seen on their FB page)

www.peakadventure.com.au/store/index.asp

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 11 years 6 days ago by AR_convert.

More
11 years 5 days ago #16406 by Marty
Thanks Brett, I had a look at the peakadventure site, he certainly has a lot to offer right across the board and I see he has an atom as well as a vault available for hire. My wife and I are going to Melbourne next month for a couple of days for the Monet exhibition so will include some try outs while we're there. You offered this information at the perfect time, as I had'nt even considered other activities during this trip and it will also give my wife an opportunity to try some different boats as she is starting to take a greater interest in paddling more seriously and moving up from plastic. Since discovering surfski.info and joining the forum I have gained many valuable insights thanks to the generosity of all you good people in sharing your knowledge & experience.

Latest Forum Topics