Small adult and Nelo Maxi kids ski?

• slow
  • Visitor
1 year 9 months ago #39960 by slow
I've seen people who are well over the recommended weight limit for a low volume boat paddling a low volume boat, but I haven't seen any adults try to use a smaller kids ski. How large of an adult can paddle the Nelo Maxi?

I can try one out, but it's a very long drive and I'd rather not make the drive if there isn't any chance I'd fit, which I think is fairly likely given the boat's listed age range (9-12). Does anyone know how large and heavy a paddler can really fit into the boat?

The boat lists its suggested upper weight as 50kg. I'm currently 60kg, which is well above that, but when I was climbing and actually watched my weight, I was 51kg, which seems close enough that there shouldn't be a problem on weight, and I've always had an easy time controlling my weight when I want to, so I could get to the necessary weight range if 60kg is a bit too much.

Size seems more likely to be a problem, though, since 12 year olds tend to be quite small when compared to adults. I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam, 28" waist, and 36" hips. I was a couple inches smaller on waist with slightly smaller hips at 51kg, but 35" hips would still be fairly large on a 12 year old as would a 31" inseam.

Alternately, if anyone can suggest another tiny ski, I'd be interested in that if the boat fits. The limitation here is that I live in a ground floor apartment that has enough space to fit a ski inside, but I have to go around a corner which limits how long an object can enter my apartment. At 4.2m, the Nelo Maxi should be able to squeeze in, but a 5m ski would be questionable. A Carbonology Splash might also be able to squeeze in and looks like a better fit for my size and weight, but I don't know where I'd be able to try one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39961 by zachhandler
V5? Surprisingly fun if waves are steep.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: slow

More
1 year 9 months ago #39962 by teuntjeremi
With this weight I recommend the sec gen Nelo 520 (I am of similar weight). The splash is much more tippy.

• slow
  • Visitor
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #39968 by slow
Replied by slow on topic Small adult and Nelo Maxi kids ski?

V5? Surprisingly fun if waves are steep.
Interesting idea. I see local V5s for sale on FB marketplace and craigslist all the time. I'll see if I can try one out!

With this weight I recommend the sec gen Nelo 520 (I am of similar weight).
At 5.2m, I think the 520 might be a bit long to get in and out of my apartment.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by slow.

Latest Forum Topics