Different ski for training & racing

More
14 years 9 months ago #3530 by Rob1
Is there any benefit paddling the same model ski however using the fibre glass ski layup for training and the carbon ski for racing. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3535 by AndrewN
The glass ski will be more durable so obviously training with it will save you money in the long run. Also, going to a lighter ski for racing after training with a heavier one will make it feel even lighter and you will probably gain more strength training in the heavy one.

Whether you will have the discipline to use your heavy ski when the light one is sitting in its rack looking at you is a different story though!

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 9 months ago #3537 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Different ski for training & racing
I agree with Andrew but must add that you should practice with the carbon ski at least once a week as it will behave differently in the water to the glass ski.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3538 by Dave Kissane
It's a myth. Train with what you race on. Have fun training rather than struggling on something heavy. Anyway, who wants to lug heavy skis on and off cars!?!?

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
14 years 9 months ago #3539 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re:Different ski for training & racing
Buy the fast light ski.
If you want to increase the resistance when training, just tie a bungy cord around the ski about a foot in front of your feet. It'll destroy the laminar flow.
You can also try dragging weeds with your rudder. I seem to do that a lot.

More
14 years 5 months ago #3927 by chrisinmanly
I train on my heavy spec ski and race on light ocean ski and it I think it makes my paddling better. I seem to have more to give at the end of the race as the muscles have been lugging around a heavy ski in training, I agree with the earlier comment that you should training on your race at least once each week.